1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Weak teachers get all the support. Enthusiastic & dedicated ones none.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by teachemma, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Hi
    Ok so I am writing for a good old moan after a very frustrating period. I feel I am a very good teacher. I've had super inspections, got a good track record on my CV, get on well with all colleagues and so on. I feel my classroom looks well organised, children well behaved and I keep on top of my workload and subject leadership whilst bringing lots of enthusiasm to the classroom & workplace. I am far from perfect but I'm the sort that likes to be good. If something is asked of me, I do it straight away. If colleagues ask for help, I'm willing. I like to learn new skills to make myself a better teacher and really like trying new things. So perhaps you get the idea about my personality and enthusiasm for the job.
    Recently I've been on a high. I've really been enjoying teaching my class and have developed the subject I lead quite considerably. I feel bubbly and excited about work and I'm keen to do as much as I can - both for the school and for my own CV. I love where I work and feel so grateful to work at a good school.
    However I have noticed that the SMT never notice me. I'm just ticking away as far as they are concerned. I'm not acknowledged by a 'Hi, how are you?' in the morning or a 'How was your weekend?' sort of comment. Instead when I am spoken to it's always something to do with work. But what's really perplexng me is why weaker staff are always chatting to the Head or SMT like they are best friends! Every break time, they sit in a little click discussing this and that over everyone in the room. Whenever I go to the Head's room, there will be the same colleagues there casually chatting by the door.
    The SMT give them support with planning, additional time and in some cases, quite considerable periods of absence are permitted without an explanation. I feel like I am working to the best of my ability but some colleagues are allowed time off. I have also been told I can not go on courses yet some colleague shave been on 2 already this academic year. (I went to the TES Exhibition last year and paid for the seminars myself and also went to BETT on the Saturday with my own time and money.)
    I feel like at my school you are given additional time if you're inadequate but none to extend yourself of you are good.
    Is anyone else in the same boat or do I just sound silly?

2. Hi
    Ok so I am writing for a good old moan after a very frustrating period. I feel I am a very good teacher. I've had super inspections, got a good track record on my CV, get on well with all colleagues and so on. I feel my classroom looks well organised, children well behaved and I keep on top of my workload and subject leadership whilst bringing lots of enthusiasm to the classroom & workplace. I am far from perfect but I'm the sort that likes to be good. If something is asked of me, I do it straight away. If colleagues ask for help, I'm willing. I like to learn new skills to make myself a better teacher and really like trying new things. So perhaps you get the idea about my personality and enthusiasm for the job.
    Recently I've been on a high. I've really been enjoying teaching my class and have developed the subject I lead quite considerably. I feel bubbly and excited about work and I'm keen to do as much as I can - both for the school and for my own CV. I love where I work and feel so grateful to work at a good school.
    However I have noticed that the SMT never notice me. I'm just ticking away as far as they are concerned. I'm not acknowledged by a 'Hi, how are you?' in the morning or a 'How was your weekend?' sort of comment. Instead when I am spoken to it's always something to do with work. But what's really perplexng me is why weaker staff are always chatting to the Head or SMT like they are best friends! Every break time, they sit in a little click discussing this and that over everyone in the room. Whenever I go to the Head's room, there will be the same colleagues there casually chatting by the door.
    The SMT give them support with planning, additional time and in some cases, quite considerable periods of absence are permitted without an explanation. I feel like I am working to the best of my ability but some colleagues are allowed time off. I have also been told I can not go on courses yet some colleague shave been on 2 already this academic year. (I went to the TES Exhibition last year and paid for the seminars myself and also went to BETT on the Saturday with my own time and money.)
    I feel like at my school you are given additional time if you're inadequate but none to extend yourself of you are good.
    Is anyone else in the same boat or do I just sound silly?

3. Who has judged these teachers inadequate?

4. Good question! I suppose myself.

5. beethan31

beethan31 New commenter

Have you tried saying "Good Morning,how was your weekend?" to them? Surely they aren't going to be rude enough not to reply....
    Also, at the risk of sounding harsh...if you need support, just ask for it.
    Sometimes in life though, I think it's just best to ignore the brown nosers!! I'm sure your commitment and the fact you get on without a fuss is noted somewhere by someone.
    [​IMG]

6. Thanks! 'Brown noses' exactly. Brown noses who have a lot of time off, have the time to sit around chatting and suck up to the boss[​IMG]

7. Id be perfectly happy to be left to my own devices and have little to do with the head. I don't like how you've judged them 'inadequate' though. Have you ever seen them teach? Because I have never had chance to observe my colleagues teaching other than walking through in passing, and would have no idea about their adequacy. Perhaps they have personal reasons for not being at school. Perhaps they just get along with the head better. Perhaps the head gives them support with planning because they have asked, and because that is part of the heads role. If you don't need that, why are you bothered?
    Courses such as TES exhibitions are, in my eyes, optional extras. Completely different to courses that are required for development needed in certain areas. Perhaps they need the courses for their development more than you do. If you are as good as you say you are, surely that is the case. The heads priority is obviously to further those who are not yet at the level that you say you are at.

8. nacca

nacca New commenter

Do I work with you?! There is a definite 'in crowd' at school. I tell myself (often) in the 'real world' i would not speak to them so (other than professionally) i don't really engage with them. Listen to their conversations - bet they are dull!

9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

If this is the way you think of your colleagues and you dismiss them all as weak I can imagine why they don't want to talk to you.

And it's 'clique' not 'click'.

10. likegoodwine

likegoodwine New commenter

So what happens at performance management meetings? Do they agree with your self assessment. I wish I had your confidence in my own skills! You clearly don't get on with everyone if you feel they ignore you and don't talk with you at break. I do get suspicious of people who say things like I have a good record on my CV, classroom looks well organised, everything marked up to date, subject is well managed. If you're that perfect why not apply for promotion? ARe you perhaps a tiny bit arrogant?

11. nacca

nacca New commenter

For goodness sake _ give them a break. OK weak teachers is a little harsh but I know what OP means. I work in a school with 'brown nosers' and they get on my nerves. Always in the know, involved in everything and it is thanks to the light from their back sides we have daylight. Some people bring out the 'arrogant' in people! x

12. So it's OK for some staff to swan in on a part time basis, have time off with unlimited supply support whilst others are teaching all day followed by meetings, briefings or training. When I asked for a couple of hours of coordinator time, the request was declined! I have started to think I will just have a day off when it all gets too much to do my marking. I'll say I'm stressed and get a note for 2 weeks off. The only thing is that this will be letting down the children and I don't think I could do that without feeling so guilty. Regarding promition, I am looking but there's nothing in the area yet.
    I just feel that teachers with enthusiasm are squashed. Teachers with problems are supported and untouchable. I wanted to know if this happens in your school.
    I am not arrogant, like I said, I love learning. Just feel I'm not supported in the same way as other colleagues either emotionally or professionally. Socially I get on very well with staff. They are not aware of my personal opinions as I would never dare to say and I'm far too polite which is why I am using a forum to ask the question.
    I do know this will seem very self confident of me but I wanted to raise a bit of a debate. Do weaker teachers in your school get more support than the ones that just get on with it without a fuss and are enthusiastic teachers limited.

13. I have to say I have never come across a situation of teachers taking unlimited time off! I have come across situations in which people have an ongoing health problem and need time off for hospital appointments, scans, X-rays etc. It can seem as if they are never there, but it is completely unavoidable. And would you swap places with them? From the way you speak it sounds as if someone is off with stress. Lucky them?I have worked at schools where cliques seem to operate, and all sorts of in house politics. Well, if you want to be part of a clique, maybe you should join in. I've also worked where the head has had favourites. If that is the case, it sounds as if there is a weak and unprofessional head. But it could be that the head has an open-door policy, and some are better at using it than others.To be honest, I think you've got a bee in your bonnet about not having enough subject time. I would keep asking and maybe it will happen. It also sounds as if you might be a bit stressed, because it doesn't sound as if teaching is fun for you at the moment. So it could be that you are right about needing a little time off.

14. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

It sounds like you feel hard done by and resentful. Many people have felt the same at various times, but it doesn't actually mean anyone else has done anything wrong.

You've got to stop looking at things so negatively or you'll start to become paranoid.

15. inky

inky Lead commenter

Take it as a compliment: it's the weak teachers who need that sort of support. What actual perks are they getting? Apply for lots of courses and be friendly and supportive towards all your colleagues except the ones you absolutely can't stand. To them, be professionally polite.
    I don't really understand why you equate chatting with support.