1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Weak planning causes disruptive behaviour...

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by lovejoy_antiques, Feb 7, 2020.

1. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Senior commenter

I'm in long term supply at a school where the behaviour is fairly shocking and discipline is an alien concept. Reporting incidents is like throwing them into the local black hole and barely a day goes by without being verbally abused.

The permanent staff have all developed their own survival strategies to survive in this chaos. Befriending key trouble makers and a softly softly approach being the favoured one. As well as turning a blind eye when it comes to kids having phones out and earphones in during lessons. I think staff have realised that if you don't challenge poor behaviour you get a lot less abuse from the kids!

I've just seen some feedback from the mocksted done by the 'trust' apparently the climate for learning is generally good. However where there is 'low level' disruption it is 'sometimes due to weak planning'. I couldn't help but think: not that old chestnut!

Once again I feel like the police chief on amity island when the mayor and his crew won't accept there is a shark problem! Disruption due to bad planning is like saying shark attacks are due to slow swimming!

With some of the groups it wouldn't matter what you had planned because the kids won't sit down and be quiet long enough to find out! Maybe some low level behaviour is due to poor planning but I feel a more significant proportion of it is due to other factors. Be it poor parenting, social media, the unhealthy influence of grime music and drug dealer culture, a diet of red bull and chips, no meaningful consequences for a students actions.

Some of these kids couldn't even sit quietly through a movie in the lessons before Christmas. If all the millions of pounds spent on a Hollywood blockbuster couldn't keep them entertained, what chance has a teacher got with a few word searches and a whiteboard marker?

2. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

In such schools it is impossible to sort your classes out. Plan your escape.

agathamorse, tonymars and pepper5 like this.
  3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Yeah but we seen it before, innit - an they only show kids movies in school right, not da propper ones wiv 'action' in em knowwotimean ...

4. cathr

cathr Occasional commenter

So when I don't get what the children say, it's not me being deaf then... it's me being monolingual

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  5. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

I did have one complaint " They used up the 15 certificate for that one word...". Can't remember why I was showing a film.cant even remember what the film was. Some reward afternoon activity I think.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Yes..escape from the chaos. It is a battle you will never win.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. lovejoy_antiques

Definitely, when the powers that be are not candid enough to admit that there is a problem then they are a long way off from ever solving it!

8. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

Plan your escape and plan it now. On the whole, you're not doing British education any favours by staying because all you're doing is basically tolerating the inappropriate behaviour of the school and kids when such behaviour should not be tolerated in the first place. If more people would refuse to work in such places, then perhaps education in this country would improve.

abwdSTEM, BetterNow and cathr like this.
  9. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

Or do what other teachers do. You won't sort it out alone.

10. cathr

I had a chat with my agency today about the schools that I am sent to. The consultant informed me she is finding it impossible to find willing supply teachers to go to a particular school. We were both hoping that the school's SMT would soon realise that their failure to attract supply teachers was the result of the children's behaviour, and action would be taken.....

agathamorse likes this.
  11. a1976

a1976 Occasional commenter

Is this agency trying to force you to go to these schools? I have put the phone down on a few for doing that.

12. lovejoy_antiques

Some schools have a really bad reputation on the supply circuit and rightly so.

abwdSTEM and agathamorse like this.
  13. cathr

Not at all. I am immensely lucky to have found an agency and consultant who respect my choices and appear to understand my reasons. Shame I can't name them.

agathamorse and BetterNow like this.
  14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I have come to notice that you are repeatedly disparaging of this useful truism.
    Tsk.
    Why must people only ever come on here to complain about that which highlights their own shortcomings?!
    If I spend seventeen hours over the weekend preparing a minimum content Power Point with fade ins every two seconds and depth charges set when the right answer comes up, and additionally spend a couple of hours honing my skills in juggling seven different pencil case items with my toes, and also bring some lists of footballers' names which I can give to the Pupil Premium kids to cut out and scrumple up and throw like tiny footballs representing nuggets of aspiration, well then I always find the behaviour is excellent.
    But when I go into class with a written statement involving thinking and discussing and, God forbid, display it on a word document in Time New Roman font, and fail to print some seperate ones on yellow paper for kids who cannot sit still to chew on, then of course they will act up and in that case, I really do only have myself to blame.
    Honestly?
    I think you need to own it a bit more.

15. lovejoy_antiques

It's a lot more disheartening to see something you've spent all weekend planning trashed than it is if you're lesson is planned on the back of a fag packet!

I'm on supply, doing a lot of cover. It would be nice if the kids could just sit down and be quiet enough to take a register and read out what they're supposed to be doing. Common courtesy really!

Whatever the lesson plan is, the kids all have their plan for the lesson too!

JohnJCazorla, BetterNow and enyliram like this.
  16. lovejoy_antiques

You're lucky. My guy's a right spiv!

17. cathr

No harm in trying someone else

18. lovejoy_antiques

Currently, my daily rate is good, the commute is a nice half hour drive, I can be home or in the gym by 4pm, during the school day it's chaos, but I'm out of town, that's important to me. I'm one of pip schofield's gang and I don't like being a public figure in my home town. I like my private life!

agathamorse and BetterNow like this.
  19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Perhaps they should scrap OFSTED and use supply teacher observations instead?

20. cathr

I mentioned this point some months ago and was promptly put in my place by other TESsers for reigniting an issue addressed many times before, apparently.
    Very teachery, made me feel like the newbie in school... But, maybe, if we keep suggesting the use of supply teachers as school observers, as you do, somesome important will notice?

agathamorse and BertieBassett2 like this.