1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

We say Trapezium; They say Trapezoid

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Lee Fields, Jun 4, 2020.

  1. Lee Fields

    Lee Fields New commenter

    [from Wolfram|Alpha website]

    This post was prompted by a comment on an online Quiz website.
    The writer suggested that an irregular quadrilateral would, therefore, be called a TRAPEZOID in the UK.
    I have never used that or seen that "in all my years teaching"!

    Any clarification, anybody?
  2. adamcreen

    adamcreen Occasional commenter

    No. We haven't swapped the two words over. Trapezium is exactly one pair of parallel sides. We don't have a UK word for irregular quadrilateral. Why would we swap the words? That woudl be insane.
    Lee Fields likes this.
  3. Lee Fields

    Lee Fields New commenter

    Thanks, Adam.
  4. Elfrune

    Elfrune New commenter

    Depends on whether you are in the UK or America - because America the two word definitions trapezium and trapezoid are reversed.
  5. adamcreen

    adamcreen Occasional commenter

    They aren't reversed, because we don't have the word trapezoid in the UK.
  6. Elfrune

    Elfrune New commenter

    Historically speaking, we used to have the word in Britain.
  7. briceanus

    briceanus New commenter

    Hmmm, so how would we in the UK, describe a prism that has a cross-section area that is the shape of a trapezium ? Have I not seen trapezoidal prism before?

Share This Page