1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

We plough the fields and scatter...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mangleworzle, Jan 5, 2020.

1. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

Thanks very much for that tip.

2. circuskevin

Just learnt the difference between English and Spanish bluebells. Checking some bluebells in my neighbours garden they are the Spanish ones. I'll get the English ones for the edge of the play area.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  3. circuskevin

Hi folks,

A friend wants to what this plant is? Someone has asked her. Eventually we will get the answer.

[​IMG]

Cheers.

Kevin

4. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

@circuskevin - that looks like a magnolia to me. Lucky friend! Gorgeous trees.

5. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Having looked ahead at the weather forecast I think the chances of any frosts has passed so I took some of my seedlings to the allotment and planted them out yesterday. I've got a small veg patch at home too so I will put the rest in there today. The cucamelons are coming on well. I'm looking forward to those. I got an email from the seed company to say my second lot of asparagus crowns will be arriving in the next 5 days. I think I've probably bought too many (15) but I like asparagus. No one else seems to be growing it on my allotments maybe because it is a long term thing and I won't get any results for the first two years.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

All the half hardy veg are in now, beans and courgettes were the last to go outside. Once the leeks grow more and the maincrop potatoes show themselves, the allotment will be covered. We've had a major pigeon attack at the allotments, I suspect with chicks to feed the parents are looking closer to home for food, or maybe it's the youngsters themselves when they leave the nest. Never really had much trouble with pigeons in my garden, nets and wire defences abound!

I now have a lot of flowers to plant outside.

coffeekid likes this.
  7. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Finally we have had some rain.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  8. Mangleworzle

Jealous, we had about 14 drops last night, no real rain for ages.

9. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I don't think it's a magnolia - those look like a number of buds in a cluster to me. If I'm right, then it's probably a rhododendron. Do you know if the soil is acidic?
    Today I have planted out climbing french beans, tomatoes and courgettes. The climbing courgette seeds I had have produced NO plants. Luckily Thompson and Morgan have sent a replacement package, which I am planting today. Other courgettes (thanks to a kind poster) are coming along.
    But we could do with rain now.

coffeekid likes this.
  10. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

We had strawberries and cream for tea There was plenty of them to go round four of us.
    Last night we had raspberries.
    We are also getting lots of spinach, radishes, rocket and we've just started eating the carrots although they're still a bit on the small side at the moment.
    I planted out some of my cucamelons but they got battered by strong winds so they're looking a bit sad. Fortunately I left two in the conservatory and they re coming along nicely with some tiny fruits just forming.
    I have a few tomatoes coming plus chilli peppers.
    It's all doing really well this year but then I've had more time to spend on it.
    It's the allotment judging soon and there are a lot of good contenders this year.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  11. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Resurrected this to say the pond is dug, lined and filled with water. We have created a bog area next to it, don't know how successful this will be as we have very sandy dry soil. Plant are ordered. Another phase of our garden building almost complete. We have various ideas for around the pond to hide the liner.

mothorchid likes this.
  12. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

How lovely, I love having ponds. Lots of activity and wildlife. When we last dug a pond, a frog had move in by the next morning.

We had home grown carrots, courgettes and beans with lunch. Sadly the spuds were full of eel worm despite being allegedly resistant. I don't think we'll bother with them again.

Wotton likes this.
  13. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Update on the pond, plants in and also in the bog garden. Still some work to do around the edge to hide the lining. pond_bog.jpg bog.jpg

14. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Weigela problem: I have two weigelas in the garden - a huge, very well-established variegated type and a two year old "all summer red" in a large pot. Suddenly they are both suffering: leaves turning brown at the tip and edge and gradually the whole leaf turns dry and crumbly. This is affecting different ares of both plants. I've googled, but have found nothing definitive. Has anybody else had this problem and can offer a suggestion?

15. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Twig blight?
    Root rot ?

smoothnewt likes this.
  16. smoothnewt

I've been googling these and trying to find pictures, but no luck.
    I am wondering if it may be due to the dry conditions, even though I have been watering them, especially the one in the pot.

17. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

What type of soil are they in, and how are you watering them? In the absence of insects like scale insects, I'd look at watering, both under and over can cause problems. If you're watering every day, and the pot is quite wet, it could be too much. It could need potting on. I never water my weigela, that's in the ground, even in dry spells.
    The good news is that if it's a water issue, the plants should recover fairly quickly.

sbkrobson and smoothnewt like this.
  18. smoothnewt

Thanks for this. The well established one is about 10 to 12 feet tall and has been there for well over the 15 years we have lived here. It has never had any issues in the past, having survived very wet conditions and also very dry conditions. I might ease off watering and see what happens, although I don’t feel I have been overwatering it.
    The one in the pot flowered beautifully in May. I have always watered it well, as it has seemed to thrive on this until recently. I don’t think it needs potting on yet. Again, I may ease up on the watering, but it is so very hot at the moment. :(

19. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

With potted plants, when it is very dry and sunny the watering sometimes does not penetrate the entire root ball before surface evaporation has happened. Therefore you might think you are watering your plant, but you are not.
    You could try making a hole in the soil-use a dibber or a fat cane or something-and put water in there. Don't make the hole too deep as the water might just run out of the pot base. With the standing plant, make the hole about 12-15 inches away from the centre, maybe even two or three holes.

You need to watch the plant carefully for it's response, and the best time to see the watering response is evening before sunset, and early next morning before full sun. Does it perk up, or furl and brown even more?

If watering is not the issue, I think it is more likely that it is leaf scorch, basically the sun is unusually bright and the plant cannot take it. I thought this because the plants are in such different root conditions yet have suffered in the same way. It especially happens if you water it in bright sunlight-the residual water droplets on the leaves "cook" the plant, but I expect you know that already.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    smoothnewt likes this.
  20. Mangleworzle

Shrubs often have a fairly short life span or can be hit with bacterial or fungal diseases perhaps exacerbated by the weather this year. We have a large flowering currant in the back garden that must be about 20 years old, it has always been happy there and very healthy. A couple of months ago I noticed that one branch was dying back, once nearly all the leaves had fallen off I cut it back and noticed a dark brown centre to the stem, a sure sign of disease. I cut back to a point where there was no sign, but other branches had already been affected, despite cutting about 2/3rds of it back, it looks like we'll lose it. From past experience of such things it may recover for a while but as the disease is around and it has been weakened I don't think it has much chance.

A similar thing may or may or may not be happening to your Weigela, a specific disease may have spread to the other one. What I'm saying I suppose is that sometimes things just die and you can't do much about it. Another example we had some years ago is a large crimson glory vine that all but died back to near the root, I cut it back to healthy wood and it recovered splendidly even though it ended up with 5-10% of what there had been and is now healthier than ever. Have a tentative cut through near the tip of affected stems to see if anything is amiss.