1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

We plough the fields and scatter...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mangleworzle, Jan 5, 2020.

1. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Thanks for advice folks, we've glued, taped, used sealant, even pond sealant to no avail. One of the problem is finding the hole as it is so small, so you need the water to find the hole, then mark it, then empty and dry. Done all that bit now. My preferred method would be the both but it has previously failed, and Mr gw is pretty handy ( unlike me, I'd be clueless but he's a proper problem solver).

We will perservere ( well he will whilst I watch! ).

I'm delighted my last year's osteospermums are in flower, they don't usually survive from year to year but it's been so mild this year. Now where did that daisy thread go?

sbkrobson likes this.
  2. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Once dry paint the inside with bituminous paint

sbkrobson likes this.
  3. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

A Bangladeshi university student is at the moment busy photographing all the flowers in the community garden! Taken a photo of him doing his photography. He uses a proper camera

Talking to him yesterday he said he was surprised all the flowers hadn't been picked. He said he had a roof garden back in Bangladesh. He's doing a MA in public administration I think.

I get to meet a lot of people by having a garden on public view at the end of the street. Occasionally get a few plants nicked.

Kevin

4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

As we haven't had rain for ages we are saving the bath water to water the garden. It's a bit of a pain emptying it out but it does the job for all our newly planted plants and the grass seed.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. grumbleweed

We do the same. We have a pump so it's quite straightforward.

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I would use a sink plunger on the inside and a rizla paper on the outside.
    Place plunger against inner wall and depress firmly, then whilst releasing in slow increments,, move the rizla paper in swirls around the corresponding outside area. You have to hold it quite lightly. Repeat systematically and patiently until you suddenly find the rizla paper "wanting" to adhere to the outer wall. There's the hole. If the hole is submerged, you can still use the plunger to good effect, just you place the rizla on depressing, not releasing, and identify the hole by the rizla paper becoming sodden.
    If you find it hard to achieve a vacuum with the plunger, dip it in water first.
    If you don't have rizla paper (I never have the things of course :p) you can use a bit of loo roll, but it's not quite as responsive.
    Other ways exist, eg by rubbing flour on the outside and swirling water on the inside, but I don't think that would work if the hole was small enough to be partially self sealing or whatever the term is in physics

There you go-how to fix a hole in your butt with drugs paraphernalia.. Or, as I prefer to call it , "two inadmissibles for the price of one."

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I had death on my mind today, and then being inordinately lucky in life, I immersed myself in the joy of growing. Vegetables, flowers, fruit. Lots.
    There was never a time when cultivation and tending to plants was so meaningful.
    If you grow anything, never forget how the nurturing of life is such a special privilege, no matter how humble or inconspicuous your endeavour.
    And if you don't grow anything, well...you must.

Somebody will say-"I have no garden,I have no balcony, I have no outdoors"
    Well, if you have a window, a glass jar and an onion, fill the jar with water, place it on the window sill and sit the onion on top. After some days, there will be green shoots, slender white tendrils below, and ach, I dunno, the multiple loss of life at the moment is somehow, on a very personal level assuaged. It's your onion. There is more to it than there used to be. Not less.

Bunkum? Nah, you just need to get patient with symbolism.

Sorry for blithering-bad day.

8. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

What sort of pump do you use?
    We have a rain water tank for the garden and flushing the toilet. We did look at grey water tanks but it requires the use of chemicals so decided against it.

9. grumbleweed

It's a standard water butt pump, it was about £25 a few years ago. We usually use it up from the bath straight away but also do have a water butt in the front garden we can fill, then use over a couple of days. As we don't have water at the back of our house, we mostly use it in the front garden with the rainwater butts covering the back ( except we only have 5 at the mo)

Sbkrobson, I used to have a quote in my diary something like
    It's only when you garden that you realise something important happens in a garden every day.

I take great pleasure in walking my garden to find what's happened today? Even when it's the slug!

sbkrobson and Wotton like this.
  10. border_walker

Thought that I would revive this with a new post. I was starting to think that our white "blue" bell had disappeared, but it is coming into flower and there is even a new one in a self seeded area. Would like to multiply these up. Are they rare?
    Edit
    Just found this "
    Wild white bluebells are very rare in Britain, with one white bluebell only occurring in one of every 10,000 flowers. The Wildlife and Countryside Act has ensured the bluebell is a protected flower, making it illegal to collect bluebells from the wild.27 Apr 2015"

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I have three small pent roof sheds in my garden, all in a row along one fence. I reckon about 5.5 square metres of roof area in total. I used to let any rain from them just drip away into the ground, until last summer when my three water butts around the house's downpipes began to run dry. I rigged up a couple of lengths of guttering from the sheds, feeding into a row of three 100 litre water butts, each with an overflow pipe feeding into the next butt. Shortly afterwards, in June, we had a sustained downpour for at least a day, and all three butts filled from empty to overflowing. That means each square metre of shed roof collected around 50 litres of rain water in one long downpour. Worth considering if you have undrained sheds and water's getting short.

Wotton and Mangleworzle like this.
  12. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

@magic surf bus We plan on doing this with our green house, wood store and, when we eventually get it, the over spill shed. We already have a huge shed, which is full of all the tools, which drains into the underground rainwater tank. just need some rain!

magic surf bus likes this.
  13. grumbleweed

Pink ones too! We had a bluebell wood we visited every year when I was growing up and we did (1970s) pick some and transplant them into our garden. They came up every year and every now and then we'd have a white or pink one pop up for a few years then disappear again. You will see this if you go to regular bluebell fields, such as Westonbirt, they are a delight to see. (Maybe next year?)I'm experiencing similar with chives. They pop up all over my patio, and then last year I had one come up with white flowers. I collected seed to see what happens this year.

Magicsurfbus, that's what we do. We have water butts on each of our sheds, greenhouse and conservatory, the largest being 3 connected (well 2 under repair). We won't really know if the repair works until they fill up again ...tomorrow looking promising for rain.

14. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

:eek:

I now have water storage envy.

mothorchid, Wotton and magic surf bus like this.
  15. border_walker

We have pinkish (more like mauve). Got me thinking that white might be a recessive gene and the pinkish ones might be heterozygous. However the numbers don't seem to reflect this.

16. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

There was quite a sharp frost here this morning and, had been going out in it, i would have needed to have scraped my car, so I'm pleased I hadn't planted my seedlings out in my allotment. I'll give it another week or so.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  17. Mangleworzle

I have French and runner beans I want to plant out that are getting quite big. I put it off last weekend as the forecast showed low temperatures last night and tonight, there was a thin layer of ice on the bird bath this morning, so I'm glad I didn't put them in. Now there's a couple of cold days and nights on Sunday and Monday forecast so frustratingly I'll have to delay them for another week.

Bedlam3 likes this.
  18. grumbleweed

Well sadly the hole in the butt didn't hold, well yes it did, but has now sprung hole on the other side, which on closer inspection appears to be completely split. Think we might give up on that one and cut it down to make a planter, not pretty but functional.

We took the plunge and put our beans and sprouts out last weekend, as no frost here, but I have a back up plan should it be forecast at the weekend.

19. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

There are 'London Plane' trees outside the railings of most of the play area at the end of the road. Lots of ivy on the ground underneath them. A few bluebells here and there. I am thinking of putting more bluebell bulbs in later in the year to give a spring display. Something nice for people to see as they walk by.

20. Mangleworzle

They are best planted "in the green" as soon as they have finished flowering, they aren't so successful from dormant bulbs.

circuskevin likes this.