1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

We plough the fields and scatter...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mangleworzle, Jan 5, 2020.

1. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

Well, I was going to post a picture of a spring garden I planted outside a play area at the end of the road. Seems file size is too large.

Daffodils, hyacinths, anemones, tulips, primroses, pansies.

Nice for all the locals to walk past on their way to the shops.

Lidnod likes this.
  2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Planted some bedding plants today which my hubby picked up at B+Q's click and collect along with 2 bags of cement!

3. circuskevin

A hospital worker who walks past the garden on his way to work tells me it is the best thing about the current crisis. :)

First time I have attempted a 'spring' garden. The last 3 years I have just planted it up for the summer. Will I have any trouble getting summer bedding plants when the time comes?

4. circuskevin

Police have taken away 'pot' plants valued at £300,000 from a house almost opposite the community garden today.

Fire engines turned up with smoke pouring out of the door yesterday. The Romanian occupants fled by car and stopped by the landlord to let him know his house was on fire.

Talking to a neighbour I even forgot 'social distancing' whilst he filled me in.

The tulips have opened out beautifully so it is nice to have all these extra observers for my spring garden I am so pleased about.

Kevin

5. Alice K

Alice K Occasional commenter

Our garden has been our saviour during this trying time.We are anxiously waiting on our new lawn coming up. The rain and sun is ideal so here's hoping!

install likes this.
  6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I've got beetroot and carrots and potatoes and kale and onions and broad beans and purple beans and tomatillos and zinnias and dahlias and chard and raspberries and bay and currants and mint and marigolds and berkheya and chives and baby leeks and feverfew and valerian and borlotti beans and rhubarb and globe artichokes and vintage roses and lavender all going strong. Some nearly ready to eat...
    And in pots, yet to show themselves, I wait for tomatoes and cucamelons and aubergine and pak choi and radicchio and courgettes and runner beans.
    And the bees and the ladybirds already this year, O my.

Something plump happened to the land in 2020. Such pure happiness to look at in a time of sadness.

butties and nomad like this.
  7. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I spent a lovely two hours at my allotment this morning. I planted some seed potatoes and then weeded round the onions which are now starting to grow. Then gave everything a good water. The garlic is doing well. The raspberries are just starting to flower. There was a group of 7 buzzards circling overhead which was quite eerie as it made me think of vultures circling people about to die.
    A mole has burrowed underneath the onion bed and come out the other side. There is also a rabbit stuck in the allotments which must have got through the rabbit proof fencing.
    I'm waiting for the asparagus crowns I ordered to turn up and got the beds dug ready for when they do. I'm looking forward to growing that.

sbkrobson likes this.
  8. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

We need some rain. We got lots of plants in and grass seeded but we really need rain. Our underground rain tank was empty which is a bit sad after all the rain we had at the beginning of the year. Have some lavender and wildflower seeds on order. Can't finish the paths as we can't get paving slabs delivered.

sbkrobson likes this.
  9. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

We had a good amount of rain on Friday so the water butts are mostly full. Very annoying is that two of our butts have pin holes in them which seem virtually impossible to seal. So we're down a couple of butts.

I'm delighted that my apple trees seem well blossomed this year after a poor year last year. (Ahem, my fault) I'm also pleased my black iris is finally in bud after not flowering for 5 years...I was going to throw out.

sbkrobson likes this.
  10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Last year I learnt about extending the growing season by forcing nature to generate heat.
    So I made a new self warming trench this morning. Like a composting trifle. A deep channel, about 20 inches deep and 3 feet wide and maybe 12 feet long. Into which, about ten watering cans of water, a slushy mess. Then in the bottom, large sticks-I took branches from a large bay tree. Then a sprinkling of manure. Then on top, smaller sticks, for which I took loads of old raspberry canes and some withies. Then another sprinkling of manure. Then a layer of large herbaceous pieces, for which I used the outer manky leaves and stalk of some overgrown rhubarb, and last year's sunflower stalks. More manure. Then I added shredded brown paper which I had salvaged from a large book delivery at school way back. Then small mulchy type stuff, tops of weeds, grass cuttings etc. More manure and then three shredded Captain underpants books. Manure again. Then finally a large heap of best allotment soil, cleared of any signs of old roots or weeds or stones. Six inches deep. The whole thing about the size of a laid down telephone box, well heaped.
    In this, I shall grow autumn pumpkins, squash, patty pans, courgettes. The way it works is that by autumn the decomposition in increments from the very base will have worked it's way up to surface level, creating a warming effect within the soil. It's true. By November you can burrow in an inch or two and warm your hands before Winter digging. And you can keep cropping your curbises this way right through until Christmas.
    Like magic, but actually- no, not really.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  11. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Have you tried to insert a stainless steel screw into the hole? Or a bolt with suitable sealing washers?

12. border_walker

It was once common to create hotbeds using horse manure.

sbkrobson likes this.
  13. Lidnod

Lidnod Star commenter

Watching the bees working has cheered me today. There also seem to be many large bumble bees, and a variety of butterflies. Are there more butterflies than last year or am I just more alert to them? There is blossom on the apple trees, both Cox and Russet so maybe we will actually have some Russets this year.

sbkrobson and Mangleworzle like this.
  14. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It seems that way, I've noticed more in numbers and variety, especially seeing as it is so early in the season.

Planted the sweet peas in the garden today with a large support. Two approx. 18" square and nearly 6 foot tall wooden pyramid supports we've used for a number of years are now at each end of a 10 foot span with canes and netting between, so hopefully we should have loads of them. Another variety still not yet through yet which will go elsewhere in the garden.

I have hundreds of little plants in trays and pots, many of which need pricking out but my supplies of trays and compost haven't arrived yet, neither have my seed potatoes, so there's lots more I want to do but just have to wait until I'm able.

All the seeds I've planted in the allotment are coming up and we had some much needed rain yesterday.

sbkrobson and Lidnod like this.
  15. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

Yes, it requires the hole to be made bigger and the plastic is very brittle now so Mr gw was reluctant to try that in case it split, which is what happened last time ....that one got cut down to make a large planter in which I have a white currant bush.

sbkrobson likes this.
  16. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Can you plug it from the inside out, so the water isn't pushing the plug outwards? Is it practical to drain it, dry it, then use a hot melt glue gun on the inside, or put some hot glue on a stick and smear it round the hole before it sets?

border_walker and sbkrobson like this.
  17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'm trying to fool my grape vine, planted last year, into thinking it's further south. I've used some spare clear panels from a dismantled greenhouse to create a mini greenhouse around it, with gaps for the branches to spread up to a trellis outside. I might even try growing a couple of tomatoes in there.

sbkrobson likes this.
  18. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Drill the hole to fit a bolt, get two large washers and a rubber bung if possible or some other form of thick rubber, drill the bung and cut it in half to make two thick rubber washers. Place the bolt so the rubber is in contact with the plastic and washers hold them tight, tighten the nut. I did this on a large corrugated steel water butt some years ago and it lasted at least a decade.

19. border_walker

I have used these methods on plastic many times! Mainly the bolt and washer method, but have seen screws used. If you are wary about a split, make the burn the hole, but I have never had a drill cause a split.

20. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Would it be easier just to use a bit of gaffer tape of the holes are so small? Worked on my plastic watering can.