1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

We plough the fields and scatter...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mangleworzle, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

It was and more to do tomorrow.

2. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

Last year I tried early radish - planting indoors in Mid Feb and harvesting in April. They were lovely , not too hot and full of flavour . I shall do the same this year .
    Need to sort out my borders too this year .
    Loving this thread and looking forward to seeing the result of hard work and tender care .

3. 60sunnysmile

60sunnysmile New commenter

Thanks for this, I’ll look into it. I am collecting 1l plastic bottles to give this a try. I’m also reading up on soaker hoses. I have put my name down for an allotment but being number 9 on the list I expect it will be a few years before I have one. I’m starting with a half plot and sharing it with my sister to ease ourselves into it gently.
    The allotments that we looked at had sheds, greenhouses, pollytunnels and all sorts of structures. Useful for keeping tools etc in rather than having to take them there each time we visit. I plan to grow artichokes so any tips gratefully received.
    We were wondering about toilets but forgot to ask.
    How many of you have allotments and what do you grow?

4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

You don't need them. Pee in the composter and dig the carp into the trenches.
    Bon appetit!

5. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Shredding finished, we now have a huge heap for mulch. Planning on where to put my log pile to encourage wildlife. Still some twiggy bits to tidy up and some large branches to cut for firewood.Looking forward to getting the hard landscaping done so we can get down to the planting.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Just come in from netting the purple sprouting broccoli to keep the pigeons off and distributing compost and turning the heaps. It's all so wet and squelchy and everything is so heavy and mucky. Well knocked, I had a couple of robins singing to me though as it started to get dark which helped.

Norsemaid likes this.
  7. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Nothing doing here. I don't start on my garden until Feb half term. All I have done us the crop rotation for the beds.

Mangleworzle likes this.
  8. Mangleworzle

That's what I used to do when I was teaching.

The compost was backed up to the bucket outside the back door, all 3 heaps full and nowhere to empty the full bucket. Now one heap with some rotting still to do and the other two empty - I feel better after a good clear out!

9. Josh7

Josh7 Occasional commenter

Nicky's Nursery - I've been buying from them for around 20 years. Started when I sourced some heritage tomatoes. They did well in a Which germination test a few years ago, have some unusual varieties.

10. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

What have folks got on the go so far?
    I have sown coriander, pea shoots, leeks and jalapeño peppers in pots in my conservatory. The leeks are doing well and the peas shoots have shot up this morning.
    Having not grown these before does anyone know... Does each seed produce just one shoot or do you get more than one shoot from each seed? Also do I plant them out, when the better weather gets here, or just keep them in the tray and keep picking off the shoots?

Norsemaid likes this.
  11. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Fruit tree planting has been delayed due to the weather. The nursery can't dig them up in this weather.
    I have constructed some compost cages for twigs and one for leaves. Need to finish one for compost.
    Spending time researching plants for the flower border.

12. Mangleworzle

I've sorted out my seeds into month of sowing in different bags and that's about it so far. Broad beans are the only ones for February but it's too wet, the first reasonable day I get, I'll go and put them in. Wondering if I should get some chilli seeds, I had loads last year and thought I could overwinter the plants in the shed like I have done in previous years but they all died, I just have 3 plants on upstairs windowsills.

13. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Plant in pots then transplant, or for early crops sow in autumn.

14. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

I've sown the radish seeds, spring onions , spinach , peas and sweet peas.
    I have been watching and listening to a chap called Charles Dowding . He lives in my county and runs a successful garden . He's very interesting and I've been following his tips and tricks .
    The garden is too wet and soggy at the moment but I do grow quite a bit in garden pots and planters which aren't so soggy and wet as the soil in the garden .
    Last year I spent time building up the soil as it was very poor and clay like so maybe next year the soil will have more drainage etc.

15. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I had a bit of a surge today and sowed basil, more pea shoots and Brussels all indoors.
    @Norsemaid have you sown the radishes outdoors?

16. Norsemaid

Norsemaid Lead commenter

I start the seeds off indoors in a seed tray which are divided into squares . I usually sow three to four seeds per square and then put the tray on a windowsill.
    My seeds germinated in a week and I have now transferred them to a larger pot and placed that in the conservatory. In a couple of weeks time I shall place the pot outside and cover over with fleece for about a good month .
    The plants tolerate cold / frost well but cold winds are another matter apparently.
    From sowing in early February to harvesting , you can have a radish crop by mid to late April .

Bedlam3 likes this.
  17. 60sunnysmile

60sunnysmile New commenter

I got the allotment. Very happy about that. I plan to grow artichokes there as they are far too big for my garden and I do love eating them. I bought 3 in 9cm pots last week and kept them on a sunny window sill. But only 1 is doing ok. The other 2 have wilted then shrivelled up. I’m hoping they will recover.

primarycat likes this.
  18. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

That's great @60sunnysmile. I've had my allotment for almost two years now. It needed quite a lot of sorting as the raspberries were feral but I've worked hard on it. I love it there. I went this afternoon, not to do anything in particular but I just wandered round and looked at all the plots and had a think about what I would put where this year. It's a lovely spot. Very little traffic. It's so peaceful sometimes I just go up there to sit a while.

Norsemaid likes this.
  19. tujeste

tujeste New commenter

I'm changing my tomatoes this year - they'd been in for a number of years. Anybody want to recommend a favourite variety?

20. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Puzzled at the notion of perennial tomatoes in the UK...?