1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

We plough the fields and scatter...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Mangleworzle, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

You might find this Radiolab episode interesting.

slingshotsally likes this.
  2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

They are easy, destructive though, but just a bundle of fun. You just need food water bedding and a safe fox free place protected from anywhere in your garden you are proud of. They provide great manure and are excellent weeders.

I knew someone recommended the watering tubes I'm going to try this year, so thanks again sbkrobson. We can go many weeks in the summer with no rain.

3. grumbleweed

Mine will forage and fight for anything. My raspberries which do grow next to my run often grow through the wire and they jump and jump for the fruit and fight each other for any that drop off. They were hilarious
    They are easy, destructive though, but just a bundle of fun. You just need food water bedding and a safe fox free place protected from anywhere in your garden you are proud of. They provide great manure and are excellent weeders.

I knew someone recommended the watering tubes I'm going to try this year, so thanks again sbkrobson. We can go many weeks in the summer with no rain.

4. grumbleweed

So good I said it twice, sorry, it didn't seem to go the first time.

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

This made me cluckle.:D

butties likes this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Literally the worst hymn when sung badly.

We plough the fields and scaaaaaaatter.... It winds me up terribly. Can't go to a Harvest Festival in case the choir mistress allows that abomination to occur.

It never happened on MY watch!

nomad likes this.
  7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Well, we may scatter if the winds up in your direction lol

8. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I managed to get an allotment plot last June. This will be my first proper full season after spending most of last Summer digging, weeding and creating beds. I'm looking forward to not only planting and reaping, but also sitting in the sun with a flask of coffee and a sandwich, taking in the rays, pondering the meaning of life

9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Cul de chien - dog’s rrse.

These were scrounged courtesy of a nearby National Trust property (I did ask first) and used by some ladies of my village to make medlar jelly which is my latest favourite condiment for cheese.

IMG-20191112-WA0003.jpg IMG-20191113-WA0000.jpg

Norsemaid and oldsomeman like this.
  10. Mangleworzle

It reminds me of happy and innocent times in primary school.

11. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I love it. Also Immortal invisible, O worship the king, Christ the Lord is ***'n today, Faith of our fathers, Dear Lord And Father Of Mankind, Guide meO Thou Great Jehovah, The Day Thou Gavest, Jerusalem, Love Divine All Love Excelling, Thine Be The Glory, Praise My Soul The King Of Heaven, Lord Of All Hopefulness, Eternal Father Strong To Save.
    Bouf. Id start singing now if we didn't have neighbours.

12. Aquamarina1234

I have clearly mised something here. RISEN. Abbreviated not by me for scanning purposes to R 1 s'n.
    Do the first 3 letters correspond to a slur on some party? Let me try again. ***'n. Short for Risen.
    If so please tell me so I don't inadvertently offend anyone in future.

nomad likes this.
  13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

:):):)

14. Aquamarina1234

I checked urban dictionary. Nothing. R.I.S is an abbreviation for many things but none of them is -ist. Anyone know?@TES_Rosaline?

15. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I sowed some leek seeds yesterday indoors. I'm planning on keeping them in the conservatory during the day and bringing them in to the kitchen for their bedtime! The packet says they have to be kept at around 15 degrees.
    Can anyone recommend any other online seed suppliers? I've made my list of what I need. I've already got quite a lot left from last year and also seeds people have given me.
    What does medlar fruit taste like?

16. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

A bit like a cross between plum and quince. I prefer ordinary quince, but each to their own.
    King's Seeds probably cheapest, but Chiltern is the best. Although it doesn't illustrate everything, so you need an iPad beside you whilst you browse if you do paper catelogues. There's an online company - no catelogue - called The Real Seed Company that sells things a bit quirkier if you want something different.

Bedlam3 and nomad like this.
  17. Mangleworzle

I've never tried a medlar from the tree, those who I know who have, have been fairly underwhelmed. They are eaten when "bletted" which means left to go a bit soft and mushy after picking. They make very tasty preserves though and can be used in lots of other recipes, better as an ingredient that eaten as they are.

We've just come back from our local Dobbies garden centre where I found they have 50% of all seeds at the moment, so I bought lots from Johnson's, Mr. Fothergill and Thompson and Morgan. Not last years left overs, but new season seeds, no idea when it ends or if it applies to all branches, but worth a look if you have one nearby.

Bedlam3 and nomad like this.
  18. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Third day of chipping the huge mounds of tree cuttings, and I mean huge. Hope to finish on Wednesday. Next is a skip to remove any left over building materials. Then some more laying out of the garden.

nomad likes this.
  19. Aquamarina1234

Sounds exhausting!

20. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I've decided to grow three new things this year in addition to our usual range. I'm going to attempt cucamelons, pea shoots and an asparagus patch.
    Having an allotment is not conducive to going away on a long holiday during watering / harvesting times but I love being up there. It's so peaceful.
    There is a composting toilet which I've never had to use yet. We are not allowed a hut or any other sort of structure which annoys some of the allotment holders but I quite like it like that.