1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

We need to be more realistic about health

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by SEBREGIS, Jan 31, 2019.

1. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Reading a lot of the posts here, I'm struck by how doggedly we attempt to tolerate the intolerable.

Teaching is an absolute meat grinder of a job, We all know that. It take away time for the activities which reduce your ability to cope with stress and ramps up the causes of it. Teaching - 'this one goers up to eleven.'

Rather than saying - 'this is a horrible situation and what lunatic would put up with it?' we go - well, I'll do it for the kids. I'll do it because my colleagues need me. Because - it would be wrong and weak of me to admit 'this is a horrible school and I'd rather be out picking asparagus than cross the threshold.'

So we keep going. Until we get ill. Because it's OK to quit if you are ill. Or mentally broken. Or dead on a slab (though - OK, you wouldn't be posting about that.)

EVEN THEN I've seen posts saying that people are recovering from serious illnesses which are clearly work rel

2. skellig1182

skellig1182 Established commenter

Who said it was ok to quit if you were dead on a slab? You must not quit even if dead. You still need to get into work and finish those assessments! :D

3. Saffron5

Saffron5 New commenter

Trying to make the decision now leave or continue not sure I can face it anymore

4. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

If it helps, at any one time a huge number of teachers are making the same choice.

5. ReinventMe

ReinventMe New commenter

It has long since frustrated me, the unrealistic demands put upon teachers by government and the way that we are just expected to 'get on with it' because that's just the life of a teacher. That's the life you chose, right?!

Well I've decided that it's not okay to continually compromise my health and wellbeing, along with that of my family due to my lack of time for them. Actually, ironically, the reason I came to this decision was in my attempt to increase my productivity-I inadvertently had it highlighted to me that my productivity would increase in line with my health and wellbeing. I mean, we know that already, don't we? But somehow I have always defaulted to the 'work harder' mentality, thinking that it would somehow pay dividends. Don't get me wrong, I know there are times when this is absolutely necessary, but as a continuous methodology it does not work and is totally counterproductive, as we all know.

Last winter was a case in point for me-I had the REAL flu twice, within two months of each other, both times necessitating a full week off sick in bed, aching from head to foot and with an associated chest infection thrown in just for good measure. This winter, touch wood, I have not had a day off sick and I believe the reason is that I have made a conscious decision to look after myself.

We, as teachers, do 'need to be more realistic about health', as no-one benefits from teachers being too ill to do their jobs properly or indeed at all.

ATfan, lynneseptember and BetterNow like this.
  6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

So SO true.

ATfan likes this.
  7. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Absolutely. Being dead is the most unoriginal and flimsiest of excuses. Such negative conduct would certainly be marked as "Requires Improvement", with capability proceedings an almost inevitable result. All the relevant data suggests that dead employees are "cruising", are stubbornly resistant to change, and tend to sap the morale of their fellow (living) teachers.

8. ATfan

ATfan Star commenter

Oh and we would also be graded as inadequate if we dared to drop dead with exhaustion in front of our students during a learning walk or observation without giving SLT the required notice and setting appropriate cover work. :) Then of course, the funeral service would naturally have to be graded as well as part of the learning walk.