1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

We MUST have ONE TEACHING union post CV19

Discussion in 'Personal' started by red_observer, Apr 9, 2020.

1. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

There have been a number of threads about what should and will happen when all this passes, but to be honest besides family and personal cares, i think we need to come out of this as a teaching profession and go forwards with ONE union...not the 4/5 it is now. the NEU and the NASUWT certainly need to unite. We might be facing a situation where an early return to school is made purely on economic grounds and that no concerns for teachers are in the forethoughts of decision makers as they pass it by that kids arent vulnerable so why not? Our conditions of service might be at risk and especially for those on short term contracts and the whole way we approach teachers as a society...we are after all an essential service too...needs reappraisal. And to do that, we need ONE VOICE not 3 or 4. We need to remove or reallocate those union officials to other roles. The teaching unions have done us badly for 30 years now...and here speaks an advocate of strong trade unions....so i put out the call today...LETS HAVE ONE TEACHING UNION when we thankfully pull out of this crisis!

Laphroig, becky70, JL48 and 2 others like this.
  2. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

If teachers wanted that, it could happen overnight.
    Teachers could simply join eg the largest union - the others would then wither .

But that hasn’t happened. Teachers are themselves divided and want different things from ‘their’ union or no union at all. And therein lies the problem, as has happened over anything a Union has done. Goodness members of nas/Uwt , I knew, couldn’t even manage their union’s ‘workload ‘ strategy ( or even knew about it?) whilst at the same time bemoaning their workload.

What was the percentage who voted, when balloted for unifying to form NEU?

3. red_observer

its true enough. Sadly we have no vision, or visionaires to lead us on but you are probably both realistic and pessimisitc in that teachers are very selfish people at heart when it comes to self self self.

JL48 and ilovesooty like this.
  4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Even when the troll Gove was in charge the unions could unite to speak with one voice. I agree we should have one union but it won't happen due to too much self interest at the top of the unions.

5. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

And because teachers aren't a very uniform group - I certainly worked with colleagues whose politics ranged from Marxist/SWP on the left to extreme Tories on the right!

Hard to see them all agreeing to being in the same Union. (Though I always thought we should all be, or at least most of us, as are in Scotland, I believe).

red_observer likes this.
  6. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I think folk need to wake up and smell the coffee.
    For how long have certain swathes of society wanted to get rid of the 6 week annual holiday? Just how much of a heads up do we need that we are viewed essentially as child minders?

Am afraid my feelings as to what will happen to state education employees in the future are very pessimistic. If you thought things were bad before.... just wait and see what will be ahead

Re Unions... this would be the unions who lay down and invited those above to urinate all over us? Cover supervisors..... the near demise of supply teaching - the chance for some to suit themselves how they worked etc etc. Yes, yes I know there are some excellent case workers trying their best for teachers but in reality teacher unions make even more of a joke the Tory scare tactic of "the power of the Unions" (remember that when working people were encouraged to criticise and turn against organised groups in place to help working people..... rather like "elf and safety" is now and we all (mostly) know who that benefits.

Gosh I got up in a positive and optimistic mood this am didn't I?

7. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

Thankfully I am long retired.

Lidnod and border_walker like this.
  8. lizziescat

I remember when the unions :
    • advocated boycotting the introductory planning of GCSE** and/or Modular A levels ( over coursework workload , I think)
    And we saw so many teachers leap onto the development groups and later benefitted through promotions because of their ‘ experience
    • advised against applying for Academy jobs (because of their legal and independent status
    And teachers applied because of the better pay and conditions:eek:
    • Answered teachers call for the principle of PPA time (and yes allowed for no teaching of cover work)
    And are berated for compromising on this
    • Called for a ‘work to rule’ over eg meetings etc
    And union members continued to attend and run the meetings etc
    Members are The Union.

It looks as though any union which does nothing is reflecting the wishes of their membership
    I’m just wondering what you think ‘the unions’ could do.

** can’t remember if this was over both GCSE and AS/A levels or just the latter.

Mangleworzle, cissy3 and agathamorse like this.
  9. lizziescat

I know at my last school, when the school rep took issues raised at a union meeting to the head, he was asked, ‘How many were at the meeting?’

Answer. 8 (out of a membership of c. 40)

End of any discussion

agathamorse likes this.
  10. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I'm not sure that one teaching union for the whole of Britain would work as Education is a devolved matter in Scotland.

catmother and agathamorse like this.
  11. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

As things stand, there will never be one union in England because there are too many teachers who subscribe to the Thatcherite "I'm alright Jack" mentality. People who want all the benefits of being in a union but "don't want to go on strike" as my first HoD put it.

Laphroig, cissy3, lizziescat and 2 others like this.
  12. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

By "England" do you mean "Britain"?
    @red_observer is Welsh, I believe.

red_observer likes this.
  13. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

The employers used the advice given to union members against the unions.

And then the conditions and pay deteriorated for ordinary teachers.

The power of the unions was systematically attacked and eroded by successive governments Starting with Thatcher. That is not the failing of the unions.

14. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

When NUT and ATL were in merger negotiations, NASUWT were apparently invited to join. They didn't.

15. red_observer

Sadly that’s a big factor too

JL48 likes this.
  16. red_observer

Because you are right,,,cover supervisors...don’t get me going...

17. red_observer

Was ever thus

JL48 likes this.
  18. red_observer

Of course yes I mean Britain

JL48 likes this.
  19. red_observer

Well that got nowhere fast!

20. coffeekid