1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

We have unisex toilets in our homes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Nov 10, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

In a discussion on LBC relating to a London store having unisex changing rooms - clearly some people are not happy about it - a chap phoned in and said that he could not understand what the fuss was about as we all have unisex toilets in our homes that we get changed in. So what is the difference. Have we become so convinced that the online world were you can have over a 1000 virtual friends and not actually have met or spoken to any of them has desensitised our sense of normality, family and what it truly means to know the difference between reality and fiction? I was shouting at the radio, 'do you not know the difference between your family and a group of strangers?

2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Senior commenter

In a family of five men and me I have a girl's toilet. The boys are allowed in it if they are really desperate but with dire warnings about what will happen if they wee on the floor.

sabrinakat likes this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

As long as there are cubicles I don't see a problem.

Says a woman with a wife and 2 daughters, one grandson and a granddaughter. 3 dogs (2 female) and a female cat.

576 likes this.
  4. lardylady

lardylady Lead commenter

If the cubicles have proper floor to ceiling lockable doors, it shouldn't be a problem. But for me, it is.

5. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I beg to differ
    Mine is male only unless a proper request is made :D

nomad likes this.
  6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I was in Gap this am and tried on a jumper. The changing room had a proper lockable door and the facility appeared to be unisex. I wasn't bothered at all. The jumper looked dreadful.

7. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

Not bothered if there is a door and the walls go down to the floor and up to or near the ceiling.I can remember when some shops went for open single sex changing areas, didn't like them.

nomad likes this.
  8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Nor I.

There must be hundreds of thousands of high street shops where the cubicles are unisex and have been for decades, the cubicles in my local Tesco (in the F&F clothing section) being a prime example. In many cases such cubicles have a curtain to draw across for privacy rather than a floor to ceiling lockable door. This sort of thing does not bother me in the slightest.

Have we become so prissy and defensive of our semi-nudity that we start shouting at the radio when someone gives a common sense suggestion?

If a woman has ever inadvertantly caught sight of a man's legs when he tries on a new pair of trousers then surely there is no problem. If she hasn't, then it is about bloody time she did! Maybe working overseas in some countries where there exists a far more casual attitude to nudity and clothing has given me a more realistic attitude to such things.

Either that or the number of snowflakes in this country is increasing (and I do not refer to the approach of winter).

peter12171 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  9. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I don't change in my toilet at home!

I agree with others about floor-to-ceiling walls and a lockable door. I'd use them then. But as long as I could be guaranteed a female staff member to change sizes if needed. I am not one of life's confident people, I don't even like changing in front of women at the pool or anything.

Laphroig likes this.
  10. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

Nobody here would have enjoyed shopping at Biba,

11. colpee

colpee Lead commenter

I would have thought that only the larger high st chains have individual dressing rooms; unisex is far more common. Doesn't bother me at all - the slightest of curtains to avoid scaring others is fine.

Didactylos4 and nomad like this.
  12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I am really struggling with this. Is that actually what you meant to write?
    We don't get changed in the toilet.
    I don't know anybody else who gets changed in the toilet.
    The only time I have EVER got changed in the toilet was when I wanted to disguise myself to get away from an awful dinner date. I had these too
    upload_2017-11-10_16-57-31.jpeg
    Actually, that's a lie. I never did that.
    But I really cannot think of any other times you would get changed in the toilet....

....edit....maybe at work if you have something to go to afterwards, or if you arrive in cycling or bike gear and need to get your work clothes on

13. george1963

george1963 Occasional commenter

Gap have been doing it for years.....

nomad likes this.
  14. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Do the same people remain fully clothed on beach holidays in hot climates?

15. delmamerchant

Lucky you

16. delmamerchant

I would not mind floor to ceiling.

17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Probably.

[​IMG]

18. rayondesoleil1976

rayondesoleil1976 Occasional commenter

One person at a time in the bathroom at home. Door locked.

I had a nasty experience in a 'village style' changing room in a local swimming pool. The walls did not go the whole way to the floor and it would be possible to peer over the top if the notion took you. The experience shook my confidence.

As long as the unisex changing room is secure & private enough, I suppose.

delmamerchant likes this.
  19. delmamerchant

I hated them

20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Back in 1978 when as a lad I worked at a municipal swimming pool I remember one day when no female staff were available and I had to (literally) man the Ladies' changing rooms. I think it's fair to say the dangly plastic cubicle curtains were very carefully positioned by the customers that day, and I was keeping well out of the line of sight anyway. Oh the embarrassment. :oops:

Continental campsites are the best places to decide if unisex is a good idea, especially the toilets. It may horrify gentlemen of a more sensitive disposition to know that some women (I won't say ladies) make posterior noises when at toilet, although they're probably foreign types, rather than our fine English women whom we all know have had flatulence bred out them over generations. :)

coffeekid likes this.