1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

We have a problem with racist police in the UK too

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Morninglover, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Not when you pushing a certain agenda, there isn't.

alex_teccy and nomad like this.
  2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

The newspaper extract says her PTSD was triggered by the way she was treated. I'd say that conclusion required a diagnosis. Which is what I said. It's also what she has said in interviews I've heard on radio with her.

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

An assumption only.

4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

She is supernatural.

5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Yeah, that and the beard, walking down the Shankill Road.
    Gerry
    [​IMG]

Shankill Road
    upload_2020-6-19_16-29-20.jpeg

needabreak and nomad like this.
  6. Morninglover

Since her lawyers were prepared to bring it up in Court (before the prosecution decided not to proceed), I think it's a reasonable assumption.

7. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

The nurse was under no obligation to get out of the car just because the policeman wanted her to and was actually right to object to an unlawful search of her car. The officer had no grounds whatsoever to ask for such a search and had no legal authority at that point to insist.

Once the nurse objected, the officer crossed the line by inventing an excuse "searching for stolen goods", he was no longer acting in accordance with his duty and the nurse could not be obstructing the police in the executing of their duty because they weren't acting in accordance with their duty.

The police are usually reasonable but that does not mean there are no bad pennies as in this case. The problem is that as long as they are not held to account then some people will suffer the same fate as this completely innocent woman. The Police complaints system still shows itself to be completely partisan and not fit for purpose.

In theory the body cam of the police officer should be a safeguard but in practice it is not because, if a freedom of information request is put in, it is amazing how often the footage is deleted.

Having your own footage is the best safeguard to protect your rights.

8. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

9. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

What evidence do you have that he has a racist mind-set?

Laphroig likes this.
  10. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Be that as it may, is it really sensible for anyone to refuse to obey the instructions of a police officer? Not only does it give the police reason to think she might have something to hide, but arguing the toss is certain to escalate the situation.

alex_teccy likes this.
  11. WB

WB Star commenter

If I was a traffic officer going out today, I'd be tempted to turn a blind eye to black divers.

If I stopped one, a crowd of people would gather around and film me and no matter what I do I'm on the news tonight.

alex_teccy likes this.
  12. Morninglover

There is plenty of evidence to reach that conclusion in the various newspaper reports of this case. Some have been referred to with links earlier in this thread. If you are really interested, check it out.

monicabilongame likes this.
  13. alex_teccy

Ok so I’ve watched the video. Where’s the racism?

14. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

First, it was not an instruction, it was a request which did not at that stage have the force of law. The other point, given that the officer(s) were intent on harm then yes, who knows what they may have planted. The other unlawful thing that police do in this situation is to try and gain possession of the car keys which, in effect, holds you hostage. The police rely upon people's ignorance of the law to abuse the law and they shouldn't.

The stop was supposed to be about a dark tint glass, you don't need to search a car regarding that, there was an ulterior motive going on.

Would you argue if you were walking along the pavement and an officer, out of the blue, insisted on searching you and requiring your name and address under Section 50?

Rubbish to both points. What escalated the situation was the officer's ego and bad attitude. Officers such as this have to be held to account otherwise we slither down the slope to a police state.

We must be prepared to uphold high the standards of policing we deserve and not accept sub-standard officers such as these. The police do their job by consent, as soon as rubbish officers such as this lose that consent for their collegues, then we are all in trouble.

The thing to remember is that the woman was totally innocent of any wrongdoing at any stage. The poilice were in the wrong from the first sentence onwards.

Doitforfree and monicabilongame like this.
  15. Morninglover

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

monicabilongame and Lidnod like this.
  16. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The nurse escalated the situation by refusing to wind down the window, and then refusing to get out. The immediate suspicion, coupled with the darkened windows, is inevitably that she may have something to hide.

Intent on harm? Where do you get that from?

Of course not. I was brought up to have respect for the law and to co-operate with the police. As a result, my dealings with them have always been pleasant and polite.

DrLinus and alex_teccy like this.
  17. alex_teccy

So in other words... there isn’t any.

18. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

19. circuskevin

I, of course, have made balloon animals for the police when stopped ... :)

DrLinus likes this.
  20. circuskevin

Do you know any black people @florian gassmann ?

A black muslim who grew up with monkeys was showing me pictures of his home village about a week ago ... :)