1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

We have a problem with racist police in the UK too

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Morninglover, Jun 18, 2020.

1. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I am humble and apologetic when they catch me in the wrong but I will make an argument if I feel they are accusing me wrongly. I remain calm throughout and neither get on my phone nor ignore and talk over them when they are talking to me. I have had to do one road awareness course and have no points, historical or otherwise, on my licence. Even British soldiers thinking I was Gerry Adams didn't mistreat me. Why they thought Gerry Adams would be walking down the Shankill Road was a different question.

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

It would appear that this woman has a genuine but possibly unreasonable fear of being hurt by the police, she told her dad that... this man, this police officer is threatening to hurt me, if it wasn't so serious I'd say it was staged to prove a point. I'm not sure that she realised that her apparent unwillingness to comply added to concerns over her reason. To assume her ignorance though is to make a judgement on her abilities and as observers we have no evidence to do that, nor have we evidence that the officer's intentions were racially motivated, also its not our job to make that call.

I would say that although I'm no officer of the law I'm guessing they are used to people regularly lying to them. How many guilty people hold their hands up and say its a fair cop?

Maleficent is a lucky goddess indeed... We all need a willing serf... no wait...

Edit

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
  3. needabreak

That'll be your beard.

4. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

She's fitted her car with a whole number of cameras to make sure any police who act as they did last year are caught on film and recorded. She has also been diagnosed with PTSD as a result of the way she was treated. If she wins her case, the police will be paying her a lot of money. I wonder if racist police have 'learnt their lesson'?

monicabilongame likes this.
  5. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Not a bit of it, she is taking the police to court. I suspect we are not allowed to speculate on the likely outcome of this "action".

6. Oscillatingass

I wonder if the police officer has got PTSD from the way that woman behaved?

alex_teccy likes this.
  7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Or if you black your complaint will be looked at more sympathetically by the courts?

lexus300 likes this.
  8. DrLinus

DrLinus Lead commenter

Seems like an overly nervous overreaction given the police's own body-worn cameras.

Cynical Hyacinths who believe they are above the law will likely learn how to play the system for cash.

Why are you so keen to accuse the police of being racist in even minor encounters like this in which no racism was found by an investigation?

alex_teccy and lexus300 like this.
  9. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Odds on certainty now.

alex_teccy and nomad like this.
  10. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Money to be made I suspect.

nomad likes this.
  11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Let's hope they work through tinted windows.

Again?

I don't think so, unless you can provide a link.

According to the link in the OP a consultant psychiatrist’s note says Bennett had a diagnosis of post-traumatic stress disorder from a serious house fire.

12. needabreak

... and if even one person thinks that it's wrong.

13. needabreak

The person or dealer who sold that car is at fault.

14. Morninglover

Which can be switched off, or suddenly have 'technical' problems...

monicabilongame likes this.
  15. Morninglover

If he did it's because his racist mind set was challenged... (and no evidence he did).

16. DrLinus

DrLinus Lead commenter

As can privately owned in-car cameras.

17. Morninglover

"the CPS decided not to challenge her appeal in light of a medical report setting out how the incident triggered her post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)".

https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/18/nurs...ntability-police-stop-search-powers-12840473/

18. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

They are mandatory for vehicle stops and many other incidents.

19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

So, she has not "also been diagnosed with PTSD as a result of the way she was treated" as you stated, but had a panic attack which was triggered by the incident and which stemmed from the previously diagnosed post traumatic stress disorder resulting from the house fire.

There is a difference.

20. Oscillatingass

I didn't "make up" anything. I simply asked an open question. "I wonder if........". I hope this helps.:)

lexus300 and nomad like this.