1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

We have a problem with racist police in the UK too

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Morninglover, Jun 18, 2020.

1. DrLinus

DrLinus Lead commenter

Welcome to the club.

2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Unfortunately so but at least they can't accuse me clandestine manoeuvres designed to hide my true affiliations.

3. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

One boyfriend of mine seemed to get stopped nearly every time he drove at night. He was a sensible driver with a car in excellent condition. They never gave a reason. He happened to be white. For those people who say they're white and have never been stopped-fine, but I know lots who have been.
    Should the police just ignore potential crime? Black people have said they're afraid that police will become too worried to tackle anyone who might scream racism. Many people feel that they are more at risk from knife crime and would prefer the police focus on that, rather than 'taking the knee', especially as it affects many POC.
    If a someone (or any colour) had been drinking, and was intending to drive and the police did nothing, s/he could kill a member of your family-whatever their skin colour.
    Do we KNOW police action, whether the 'famous' cases, or ones that have affected our own family, are prompted by racism? Some will tell you that if someone perceives an action as racist/offensive, then it is.

By that argument, if you're walking down the street behind me and I 'perceive' your actions as threatening, should you be arrested, even if you had no intention of attacking me?

Oscillatingass likes this.
  4. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

In my balloon modelling days I would get stopped by the police to make dogs, swords etc for their kids. Got the full flashing lights, police siren treatment too ... :)

Always happy to oblige.

5. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Did you find the same thing kept happening to you as you got older? Did you continue to get similarly ‘hassled’ and regularly suspected as a drug user years after you’d matured, cut & conventionalised your (amazing sounding) hippy? metal-head? new-romantic? hairstyle & started dressing in more professional/conservative attire?

The ability to change or discard external attributes that may lead to the kind of unfounded profiling you describe is a very useful thing to be able to do isn’t it?

I wonder if you, and the friends you mention, would by now have maybe
    lost a bit of your patient understanding with being regularly, & arbitrarily, suspected of unspecified wrongdoing if it had continued to happen to you throughout the entirety of the past 30-40 years.

Sounds like you had a great time in your younger days btw :).

6. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

A thoughtful post by @Jamvic .

It was kinda fun to hear the police sirens go off behind me knowing all that was required was some creations from my favourite hobby at the time ... :)

Jamvic likes this.
  7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

So would I ! The worst possible thing is to appear unco-operative and argumentative, as it will inevitably give the impression of having something to hide.

But I still don't understand why a very experienced nurse claims to be scared of the police. The police are in and out of hospitals every day and nurses are likely to interact with them more often than most members of the public.

needabreak and racroesus like this.
  8. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

There was no crime - but as the police searched the car and found nothing they got more & more angry. They had decided that she was a drug taker (she doesn't even drink alcohol) . She was not even driving (she was parked. engine switched off) when they pulled in front of her as they would with a 'hard stop' to intimidate her.

You are an apologist for some racist police who will, hopefully, soon be removed from their job.

monicabilongame likes this.
  9. florian gassmann

She was convicted of obstructing a police officer, but the CPS decided not to challenge her appeal.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  10. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

I think that is the same link that I posted on page 1 of this thread.

It’s a shame that no-one has bothered to look at the content.

What I think these additional examples show is that there is still a problem (but hopefully a diminishing one).

11. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

No, fair point - with a move more towards my avatar chap look I was and have been since left alone. Very much so.

Absolutely. On that we will not disagree but....

..again, as above a most fair point. And sure, not everyone back then either was laid back about it.

I think the only potential area of disagreement is yes, I was drawn into being profiled as a drug user because so many rock stars and youngsters associating with them were indeed smoking pot. I became a suspected criminal due to the dubious behaviour of my peers.

A police force is not made to be our friends, it is made to keep a government in power and enforce its laws. (Then sold as being our friends ) So the million dollar question is why are black people likewise targeted? Is it all down to racism?

The older I get the better I was :p

Jamvic likes this.
  12. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

The police claimed they stopped her because her car's glass was too dark - it wasn't. They then said they wanted to search for stolen property - there wasn't any. They claimed she had taken drugs - she hadn't.

The 'obstructing police' was a manufactured crime - and the police man who started this is a disgrace to his uniform.

13. DrLinus

DrLinus Lead commenter

Probably the right decision to save money.
    I think this woman learnt her lesson and will not obstruct the police in the future.

14. florian gassmann

If she'd just got out of the car as asked, there would have been no charge of obstructing the police. Just listening to the body cam recording, it was clear that she deliberately escalated a confrontation. She acted like some teenager determined to disobey a teacher.

15. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

It is a form of inverted bullying. She knows that if she makes this assertion no one would dare challenge it particularly in the light of the current hysteria. All she had to do was be reasonable and there would have been no issue but instead she inflamed the situation.

DrLinus likes this.
  16. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

So would I and indeed I have. I got pulled over for speeding in Greece. I was mortified. I was concentrating so hard on driving on the correct side of the road in a strange car that I missed seeing a change in speed limit.That's no excuse however and I was very humble and apologetic.

17. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I dated someone once who said he was not a racist, he treated everyone equally poorly, it seemed funny at the time but might be something to think on.

18. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The police wouldn't have known that she doesn't drink or take drugs. I was wrong when I said that the presence of a female officer was offered before she complained about a man but I couldn't see when the car was being searched before she got out or the police getting annoyed by their failure to find anything. The Guardian reported that the car pulled up in front of them and I assume that was the woman and the person she was dropping off but who doesn't seem to be present although he might have been called Mark and decided to stay quiet and neither hinder nor help. If you are in a car with the keys you are in charge of it.

19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Pygmalion. Pickering and Higgins both insist that they treat people equally but Higgins' mother points out that he treats a Duchess and a Chambermaid as though they were both Chambermaids but that Pickering treats them as though both were Duchesses. I treat all humans as human and then there is Maleficent.

Jamvic likes this.
  20. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

It would appear that this woman has a quite likely genuine but possibly unreasonable fear of being hurt by the police, she told her dad that... this man, this police officer is threatening to hurt me, if it wasn't so serious I'd say it was staged to prove a point, I didn't notice such a threat, did anyone here see that threat being made? I'm not sure that she realised that her apparent unwillingness to comply added to concerns over her reason.

I'm no officer of the law but I'm guessing they are used to people regularly lying to them and trying to avoid arrest, I mean how many people who have broken the law offer themselves up and say its a fair cop?