1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

We have a problem with racist police in the UK too

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Morninglover, Jun 18, 2020.

1. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

He wasn't so we don't know. There is no comment to be reasonably made about what might have been other than as a result of bias or prejudice.

lexus300 likes this.
  2. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

It is almost as though the Guardian are trying to push a certain narrative.

3. LiveToWin

LiveToWin Established commenter

I've got tinted windows in my apartment, but I've never been stopped for it.

Based on the poll above, one person of colour was stopped and potentially treated poorly while another person (Doitforfree), who is apparently pink, was also stopped and treated poorly. Therefore, based on this very small sample, one can be treated badly by the police regardless of colour, indicating no bias on the part of HM constabulary.....

4. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I have avoided watching the video of George Floyds death until recently. The police officer who kneeled on his neck is in my view no doubt a Psycho, I wonder if the US force attracts them, or if their psychological condition leaves them seeking powers like those the police have so they can abuse and kill.

What I found equally disturbing is that the ethnic officers stood by nay protected the unreasonable force that was used when they could have prevented his death by intervening.

I don't think all white people are racist, but I am beginning to think racists are just sick, the sort of people who would drown puppies... can they be changed? Sadly I'm not sure they can and I suspect that protesting against them just makes them dig their heels in.

That said I'm not yet convinced that racism in the UK is in any way as entrenched as or comparable to that in the USA, and loose allegations otherwise can leave us looking like a bunch of whinging snowflakes *Eeew I can't believe I used that term. What I mean is if we aren't careful we might weaken the cause by focusing on questionable acts with little or no proof that the intentions were racially motivated.

5. DrLinus

DrLinus Lead commenter

Why do you hate the police such that you falsely believe their reasonable and legitimate performance of their duties is racist?

ms honey and Oscillatingass like this.
  6. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

This is why the police need ofsted.

Leave the teachers alone for a few years and sit in the back of police cars ... :)

needabreak likes this.
  7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Judging only by the video I would agree with you. It was at night, with doors closed the internal light wouldn't be on. The video near the end shows the side window is tinted and the policeman said it was a tinted front window. She didn't wind her window down, she was argumentative even when she was told a female officer would be called and before she demanded one. She was on the phone to her father not a lawyer. I think she was obstructive but I am white, Protestant and from Northern Ireland. The constable told her it was all being recorded. I think she showed a distinct inclination not to listen.

8. DrLinus

DrLinus Lead commenter

Why should your skin's colour, your religion and your nationality factor into your perception of this woman's obvious obstruction?
    The law rightly takes no account of these things and nor should we.

lexus300 likes this.
  9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

If I didn't mention it some people might think that I am white, God-bothering, homophobic, misogynistic and racist thug trying to masquerade as a liberal sort of person.

LiamD, Oscillatingass and nomad like this.
  10. SparkMaths

SparkMaths Occasional commenter

A lot of these stories involve "I was scared of the Police so didn't comply with their request", which escalated the encounter.

That lack of trust seems to be an issue, if it were me I'd trust the police and comply with their request.

We need to look at if the murder cops in the US are causing this fear or if the UK police are at fault too.

needabreak likes this.
  11. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I don't know why but this just made me laugh aloud. :D:D:D:oops:;)

12. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Do you think saying to someone who fears the police that what they need to do is 'trust' them is actually going to work? Or useful?

monicabilongame likes this.
  13. DrLinus

DrLinus Lead commenter

To say that you are white is enough for some poor people to conclude the rest.

14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

A non story.

Read through the article. Watched the video.

An official police investigation found no wrongdoing on the part of officers.

I agree.

artboyusa, racroesus, T34 and 2 others like this.
  15. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

The trouble is not the wrongdoing but the allegation. This rumbles on and non-thinking folk use it as an allegation of racist police!
    For may folks thought does not proceed their mouths!

16. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

The problem with this is while it sounds sad and another reason to bash our society, it is not a blanket truth.

I was regularly stopped by the police in the late 70s and 80s because they had me profiled as on/carrying drugs. A few coppers (here and overseas) even screamed at me in frustration when I was searched and clear that 'you simply cannot have that hair and not be using drugs'.

(It was the time of long haired bands and yes, I did overdo the glorious mane back yonder)

I was detained at borders in Israel, Holland, Germany, Denmark and Sweden for the same reason. Maybe more I cannot recall. I got used to the 'excuse me, sir'call at customs and immigration lines.

Thing is, most if not all youngsters back then using drugs did indeed have my appearance. And both I and my white friends back then were always being stopped or hassled.

It was (as we keep hearing these days) a different time. We never got angry at the cops as we knew they had a reason in treating us suspiciously and it never was seen as some big dramatic deal.

17. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

18. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Don't twist words. You know damn well that isn't what he said.

DrLinus likes this.
  19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

If I was scared of them I would say 'Yes, Sir!'

needabreak likes this.
  20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I think it is a sad indictment of some posters on here (clique?) that I feel the need to bare my soul to avoid opprobrium when I post.

needabreak likes this.