1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

we do we have such a radge baby come nighttime?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by jodidi, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Is there a particular reason you don't want to just feed her back to sleep? Sorry I can't help with what to do as I have always just fed mine back to sleep whenever she wakes as that means she goes straight back off, and I can get on with whatever I was doing (planning and marking by the time she was 6 months). She started sleeping through at just over a year, but we'd just been awake once or twice each night for a few months before that.
    And the teeth thing can make a massive difference to night time sleep. During the day she is distracted by other things but at night all she has is the teething pain. I assume you are breastfeeding (don't shout at me if you aren't - just something makes me assume you are) and babies get a lot more than nutrition from breastfeeding, it's a pain reliever and a comfort all wrapped up in one handy bundle. For what it's worth I would just feed her til her teeth come through and then reassess whether or not it's easier to stick with that or change something.

2. My LO went through a period of waking up in the night and not wanting to go back to sleep around 5/6 months. I like you tried to go through the is she hungry and tried not to feed her back to sleep for the first couple of nights, then I gave up and just fed her back to sleep as I was so tired, on the odd occasion she still didn't settle we brought her into bed with us - anything to be horizontal! Once she started eating more during the day she started sleeping through again and she stays in her own cot - if she has been bothered by her teeth during the day we give her a dose of calpol before putting her down. I was talking to some friends who have LOs a little bit older than mine but it's their second and they said they don't have the time, energy or patience to settle them back to sleep so feed them back to sleep regardless - both of their LOs now sleep through. Now mine sleeps through unless she either hasn't had enough to eat during the day (she's in the process of cutting her top two teeth) or something disturbs her.

3. we went from 2 feeds a night to nothing in a space of a week. we did the put up put down and the shhh pat with him. we couldn't listen to him cry but we refused to turn the light on and we refused to feed him. within about 5 nights he started sleeping through. he occasionally wakes now, but that's normally with wind or reflux and we pat his back/bum til he passes wind (either end!) and then he goes straight back into his cot.
    i can fully understand why you don't want to just feed during the night x

4. If it's teeth, maybe give her Calpol at bedtime? If we have had a particularly horrendous night then we give it the next night during her bath - almost in anticipation! That may sound bad, but we've found that it's ten times easier to give it to her when she's calm and splashing aroung than when she's screaming in agony a couple of hours later because her teeth have woken her up.
    As for feeding in the night, I was doing this too at 6 months, but once I'd made the decision not to (about 8 months I think) I got my OH to do all the night wakings so that she wouldn't smell the milk. Fortunately, this coincided with him being on his summer hols (he's a teacher too) so he wasn't too wrecked and the wakings reduced in frequency quite quickly once she realised she wasn't going to get any milk. However, I still find it really hard to settle her myself without feeding so I can sympathise, they really can smell it and it will be so much easier if you can get OH to help you.
    Good luck x

5. Thanks everyone for your replies. @ Jodid, there are a few of reason I don't want to keep feeding her back to sleep. They are 1. I want her to be able to settle without thinking that she needs ot be fed. 2. I don't always want to be the one settling her. 3. I don't want to be feeding her back to sleep when she is say 14 months old which is what one of my friends does. One of the main reason I want her to be able to settle without feeding is that for nearly 4 months I have not had more than 3 hours sleep at a stretch and I am up with her 3 times on a good night and often 4 or 5 times every hour or two. And quite honestly I am knackered. I think maybe her teeth are bothering her more than they appear to be so I have started to give calpol before her bed. I don't know how much it helps though.
    @ WOmrburger, I would love for LO's dad to get up in the night with her but he usually sleeps through it and he couldn't sit with her for as long as I can, until she stops crying, unfortunately.

6. Have you tried the no cry sleep solution? I have a copy if you want me to send it to you (mine is now 18 months and sleeps through unless she's teething like this week). It gives a lot of gentle solutions to sleepless nights if you want to avoid going down the CC route. It does take a little while, I believe most people see some sort of results within about a month, which I appreciate seems like an awful long time when you are sleep deprived. Do you co-sleep or is she in her own room/cot? I found that at 6 months when I went back to work I couldn't possibly have coped with getting up that many times every night without co-sleeping, as my lovely little madam decided she wouldn't drink any milk for the childminder but would have some milk 5 or 6 times a night. It took a little while before she ate enough solids for me to feel comfortable trying to stop this habit.
    By the way I still feed my 18 month old back to sleep when she wakes up, it sounds wierd when lo is small but it just sort of creeps up on you and feels perfectly normal now.

7. lucchese

lucchese New commenter

Personally, I think at 6 months your LO is too young not to be fed back to sleep. I fed mine back to sleep till 13 months, having tried CC at 7 months and 11 months (I think) but just didn't feel it was the right time. At 13 months, I decided I had to stop night feeding as I was pregnant and couldn't cope. it must have coincided with the right time for LO, as he slept through on the second night. I know it is terribly hard, especially if you have to work, but in the long term it is easier as you spend less time having to listen to awful screaming in the middle of the night.
    Also, something to think about is that when you stop feeding to sleep (and indeed breastfeeding) it doesn't necessarily mean they will always self settle after this. We have had bad nights again from about 17 months due to teeth, and obviously you don't have the easy option any longer...