1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

“We cannot allow all of these people to invade our country,”

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Jun 25, 2018.

1. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

"Far worse"? Surely you mean "much less excellent".

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I think that if a German ship hoovers up some migrants then they can land anywhere but they should be immediately put on a plane to Germany, seems fair.

lanokia likes this.
  3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

But once all the Mexicans are living in the USA Mexico may seem rather appealing! I could live there with all the Americans who have emigrated there! (according to friends that live there the money goes a lot further).

4. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

60 years ago they said that.

5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Inclined to agree... if they fly a Dutch or German flag then that should be their destination.

6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

A lot of ships fly the flags of countries like Panama, Liberia or the Bahamas...Not sure that sending refugees there would work well (for either party)!

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Why? Is something wrong with those countries?

8. FrankWolley

They are poorer than European countries, esp. Liberia & Panama. A lot poorer.

If some/many of those on boats in the Mediterranean have come from sub-Saharan Africa, I'm not sure they'd accept being returned to a sub-Saharan country like Liberia.

9. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Surely migrants should enter a country by the normal routes and normal modes of transport.
    Why are they now called migrants? Not so long ago they were refugees and/or asylum seekers.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

A refugee would welcome sanctuary in a safe country. And economic migrants would seek a rich country.

Meanwhile liberia has unemployment at 4% while spain is at 16%. Not looking good for them.

Love how people keep wheeling out negative tired stereotypes of Africa to justify this guff.

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Migrant is the over-arching term. Refugees and asylum seekers are sunsets.

12. FrankWolley

Try comparing the GDP or GNP (or life expectancy) of Liberia vs. Spain....

13. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Any refugee who has had to flee because of wars started by USA, France or GB should be sent to those countries.

I think that is fair.

14. Caoimhseach

Caoimhseach Lead commenter

Why just those 3 countries?

15. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Okay, any country that starts a war should look after the refugees created by that war.

That includes US, France and GB of course who have a track record in this department.

16. Caoimhseach

That would mean Iranians going to live in Iraq.
    Yemeni going to live in Saudi Arabia.
    Kurds going to live in Turkey.
    Belgians going to live in Austria.
    Russians going to live in Germany,

It won't work.

17. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Of course it will work and it should happen until such a time as these countries can be rebuilt and it is safe for people to go home.

I think Belgium and Russia are now safe to live in. The Yeminis, Kurds, Iraqis, Libyans, Syrians, Afghans, Palestinians (all people of a darker complexion you may notice) are fresh out of luck though.

18. Caoimhseach

Tell me single instance where refugees from one side in an international armed conflict have been welcomed to come and live with the other?

19. FrankWolley

Many would see that as a cruel & unusual punishment...e.g. Muslim refugees from Iraq being sent to Trump's USA :eek:

20. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

We have Iraqi refugees in England, not many unfortunately, but there are some.