1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

“We cannot allow all of these people to invade our country,”

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Jun 25, 2018.

1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Trump wrote. “When somebody comes in, we must immediately, with no judges or court cases, bring them back from where they came.

“Our system is a mockery to good immigration policy and law and order. Most children come without parents.”

What America can't allow, in my opinion, is a gradual slide towards abandonment of the rule of law, and the setting up of an autocracy. Trump is a real and present danger to American democracy, and his stream of consciousness ramblings on Twitter reveal a way of thinking completely out of kilter with those of the checks-and-balances, separation of powers mentality which has preserved US democracy, just about, for two centuries.

2. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Personally i see Trump as a total disaster for America. Its never been known for a president to be so un democratic in trying to rule by twitter and force his opinion upon peoprl.He is of course playing to the crowd and really he has opinins similar to the white van man so often condemmed in this country as unthinking.
    Yet he has appeal..bigots and white supremicists love him and he is setting up his country to not be big but an isolationist place where in the words of the song'everythings alright in a America,if you all white in America' seem to apply.Years of work to unify a nation are being thrown away by this man.

elder_cat likes this.
  4. SirPurrAlot

SirPurrAlot Established commenter

Surely he was referring only to people who attempt to enter illegally. Or are you saying that he wants all airports closed and ships preventing from docking, in order to prevent tourists and businessmen from entering America?
    :eek::eek::eek:

5. MAGAorMIGA

How does he know they have "entered illegally" before a process has been carried out to determine if they are genuine refugees or not? Refugees have a right to register as such, and they aren't being allowed to, and Trump is proposing simply turning people back at the border without a hearing.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I blame the native Americans. If they'd had an effective immigration policy from1492 none of this ruddy mess would have started.

7. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

slingshotsally likes this.
  8. oldsomeman

the best is if they had trump,himself an immigrant family and his wife would never have been allowed in...hang on Iforgot he is white,rich and a bigot.
    Its a good job his father bailed him out in business several times as he was not brilliant in that I am led to believe

9. MAGAorMIGA

Yes I know. All this "America is a nation of laws" stuff is SOOOOO last year.

10. FarSideofParadise

FarSideofParadise Occasional commenter

So eloquent, a well thought out response.

11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Most children come without parents???

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

12. SirPurrAlot

SirPurrAlot Established commenter

The American policy is that people wishing to seek asylum should do so at an official border crossing. On occasion such refugees have been told to come back later because of over-crowding.

Those that attempt to cross the border illegally are the ones who are being refused entry.

lexus300 likes this.
  13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Between 2011 and 2016 close to 179,000 unaccompanied children entered the USA. [ LINK ]

The situation got so bad that the Obama administration had to request $4 billion extra funding for the legal repatriation of the minors to their home nations [usually Central American]

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

He's coming here next month -perhaps he should be declared an illegal alien and deported.

It must be hard being a decent human being and have that offensive clown as your president.

slingshotsally likes this.
  15. oldsomeman

Its a long while since i have felt moved to demonstrate...but I an seriously considering doing so for his visit. I find it really hard to even look at that face,never mind listenng to smug self satisfaction tone of voice.

16. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

It's easy to over estimate the alleged power of this.
    For example, allow me to console you with the maths of it; Twitter metrics indicate an approximate 70 million Twitter users in the USA. And yet the tweet quoted in the opening post of this thread has only received 107 thousand likes.
    Just shy of 0.153%. At the beginning of his presidency, Trump accrued a regular "likeage" of 3% of the potential.
    What happened? A 50% drop in kudos in the Twitterverse? The man has hoisted himself by his own greasy petard with his buffonary-by-Tweet. Bigly.

And on a more abstract level, it is pleasing to know that when Twitter trialled a doubling in possible word count, I was included in this trial, and yet the new word count was not enabled on Trumps account for a further 2 months. Why? Guess he's not really that special. Somebody in Twitter Towers deemed his verbal garbage offensive enough without doubling it I suppose.

If the power of Twitter bothers you, then nobody is stopping you from harnessing it for your own cause too. My shameless amateur Twitter analytics forcing mathematical Trump realism helped to achieve me a follow by Barack Obama last year.

Job done, or, according to a few posters in yesterday's thread about Twitter-"who gives a sh*t?"

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    oldsomeman likes this.
  17. Caoimhseach

Caoimhseach Lead commenter

That really is nonsense, Dr Peakster. Why is it harder than before Trump took office?

18. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

What makes you think Trump will attemp to enter Britain illegally?

towncryer and Caoimhseach like this.
  19. henrycreswicke

henrycreswicke Occasional commenter

Mr. Artboy is quite correct in his response.

lexus300, lanokia and artboyusa like this.
  20. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Always good to see professionals strutting their stuff.