1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

'We can blame the government and Ofsted, but persuading people to become heads is up to us...'

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Feb 1, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

For someone demanding HTs accentuate the positive he's very good at listing all the negatives.

3. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

"that one should keep a smile on one’s face almost all the time – and I regarded it as an immense privilege to have a job in which I could influence the lives of so many young people"

Heads smiling have been replaced by heads rolling.

Anonymity likes this.
  4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

So it's 18 years since he was actually a head.

I've seen too many disappearances, too many heads driven by fear of ofsted for me to recommend the job to anyone I like.

5. hbkeenan

hbkeenan New commenter

While I agree that the loss of NPQH programmes hasn't helped recruit heads, I think the Future Leader programme hasn't had a positive impact. It has suddenly become ministers answer to a much more complex issue. My biggest criticism is reserved for ASCL though who are a toothless heads Union interested in pontificating and posturing instead of protecting heads.

6. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

There are enough people wanting to be heads just like there are enough people wanting to become teachers. However, there are ceilings in place - women, ethnic minorities, education history snobbery (school and university), lack of training routes for people not in SLT etc. And then you limit the pool by other variables: only those prepared to sacrifice family time, only those of a certain religion denomination, only those with a certain educational background or experience and so on.
    The shortage, then, is in enough of 'the right people' to become headteachers. The pool is too small. Thus the answer has to be to remove some of these barriers and enlargen the pool. Hiding one's school and university details at application. Allowing job share. Allowing those not in SLT roles to undertake headship training. Putting into place mechanisms which make the role more attractive to women, people who value their families and other groups who might go for headship if the route or role was modified.

As you see with maths and physics trainee teachers, you can offer a grant worth almost £50,000 at salary level and you still can't recruit. The answer is not more money.

Vince_Ulam likes this.