1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

we art teachers are being slagged off!

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by oldtimer 2, Jun 13, 2006.

1. My cat's black

2. my cat's stuffed!(

3. I gave my cat away. Where does that put me?

I must say reading this thread from star to finish I have felt annoyed but have laughed my head off at some of the humourous replys.

Who cares who does the most marking. Those of us that are successful who dont spend hours marking and still get great results without feeling stessed as MANC does have it worked out. WORK LIFE ratoi is so important. Who the same. cares how much time you put in? We all get paid

Reading the whole thread I think MANC has made a bit of a tit of himslef. However 'shoot me down all art teachers' in my opinion n english they do have more intence marking- however as art teacher we have more to mark as we dont have the pleasure of only seeing 1 group 3-4 times a week. As someone else rightly pointed out we can have upto 15 KS3 classes each. Now thats a ****** to mark and report on- obviously MANC has either ignored that fact or is so far up his rd bic **** he cant see because t

So I say MANC if your so unhappy with secondary english teach art if you think its better.

4. manc

manc New commenter

Reports are every so often, yet marking is every week - so that's a red herring for a start.

You can repeat the same lesson to the KS3 classes and don't have to plan new ones('groundhog day')- the English teacher has to teach original lessons every lesson on his/er timetable.

Get your head out of your own ar*e.

What those with a good work-life balance always fail to see is that the marking comes with the subject. You can't opt out of it.

Art is MUCH easier because it less demanding of time.

5. You are wrong. Simple as that.

6. jono1701

jono1701 New commenter

I am sure English teachers have lots to mark, but I'm also sure that marking some essays and posting them off for moderation is much easier than marking and remarking huge projects several times, then putting everything up for didplay and taking it all down again for a bloke to come and see - We also have to come up with original lessosn every day, and have a lot more to cover, a larger variety of skills and techniques.
    Then there's the mess, making sure the class is tidy, thinking of health and safety, much more difficult than getting some textbooks out.
    the sheer variety of what we have to teach makes it a difficult subject.

7. I wouldn't bother ck, manc is convinced that all we do is 'carry on from last lesson'. He won't be swayed and he trots out the same whinge a few times a year - presumably when he's feeling stressed.

Mind, the idea that Art can "can repeat the same lesson to the KS3 classes and don't have to plan new ones('groundhog day')" while "the English teacher has to teach original lessons every lesson on his/er timetable" did make me larf.

8. No Joli - I'm not going to bother. Threw my hands up in disgust and am now staying away from this thread. Some people are just stubborn.

9. yes manc! Us art teacher sit around from 3.10pm on the dot supping Pimms and still get paid the same as you hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

10. manc

manc New commenter

(In the style of Andy Pipkin)

"Yeah, I know"

11. manc

manc New commenter

"We also have to come up with original lessosn every day, and have a lot more to cover, a larger variety of skills and techniques."

Well, assuming you have say three Year 7 classes that's 3 repeatable lessons, so whilst, obviously, you have to plan once, you can repeat it twice - that's a saving of two hours per week.

Most English teachers teach one class in each year group (partic. in 11-18 school) so each lesson in the week is unique from each other. That's about ten homeworks per week BTW.

Am I missing something?

"A lot more to cover", eh?

Last time I looked there was only one art GCSE. In English we do language AND lit.

As for a greater variety of skills and techniques, I'd like to see you quantify that.

12. jono1701

jono1701 New commenter

Photography, Fine Art, Textiles, Graphic Design, 3D Design, Unendorsed (a combination of disciplines), Applied Art (Dual Award), that seems more than one GCSE to me.
    Check your facts, give them some personal reading time, put your feet up and tick some essays, stop bothering us.

13. Not to mention written work/critical activity.

As well as a practical exam, we also have written examinations to prepare for. So while you may do language and literature, we do practical and critical (essay writing to you)throughout the year.

14. Stay away CK. His riposte isn't even original. This is someone who can't, or won't think for themselves.

15. I know - couldn't help myself... aarrgh! He's like a scab I need to pick.

16. Yep it's been frustrating trying to rational here, as all of us who teach BOTH subjects have tried to be. Feel like I was peeing into the wind really.

17. "Most English teachers teach one class in each year group (partic. in 11-18 school) so each lesson in the week is unique from each other. That's about ten homeworks per week BTW."

Bloody nora, are you telling me that most get one class only for each year group, you must have loads of freebie lessons.

The English teachers i observed tended to leave the work pile up and then ended up carrying a wad of books home.

And from my schooling and observations, that reading of a play for loads of lessons happened frequently.

I bet English teacher just sort of glance at the essays anyway.

English might have more to do say with grammar and essays, although there is a nowan increase in the contextual studies component in art, but lesson prep time i would say has to go to art. Plus while you may have marking some of us are preparing clay, working the kilns, one false move and the work gets ruined.

What i would say is when students work on sculptures there is progression at least. Sitting and reading, taking it in turns is frankly dull.

18. manc

manc New commenter

Taking it in turns?

It's not 1930. Where do you get your ideas from?

There's only one class per year because they get more timetabled English lessons. Durrr....

Same number of frees as art in fact.

But 1000% more marking to do.

Every day of every week.

19. manc

manc New commenter

"I bet English teacher just sort of glance at the essays anyway."

Really, Darkness?

Well, I bet art teacher just brew coffee in room and then say "Carry on with what were doing last week".