1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

we art teachers are being slagged off!

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by oldtimer 2, Jun 13, 2006.

1. manc

manc New commenter

Gosh, mcboggle, you are the sensitive flower, aren't you?

2. Why no insults for me today?

3. I have recently been on long term supply teaching academic subjects. I have to say I actually prefer it. It is soooooooo much easier!!! Text books to work from - no getting out loads of equipment, trying to keep clean - ish and then clearing away again. Academic subjects rely on definitive models to learn and rehash. Art is much more subjective. Children sat in place and not wandering about. Having a decent education myself I am able to teach English, Maths, Geography, History and PSE easily up to KS3 and some of KS4. It's a breeze. I love Art but it is soooo much harder to teach. No two ways about it.

4. manc

manc New commenter

Well there we go. It must be true then if the supply teacher with a decent education says so.

5. As you admit, manc, that time warp you are stuck in suggests you have done little if any preparation over the past 30 years. Same questions, same responses so why does it take you so long to mark your students work?
    So, were you scolded by and art teacher in your youth? Are you really an English teacher?

6. Thanks redbreast!

The key question here - is Manc a real english teacher or a subscriber to conflict theory looking for amusement ? I am now inclined to believe the latter, no real functioning UK teacher would persist so long without having learned anything!

7. manc

manc New commenter

Oh, I've learned a lot, don't worry.

Have my opponents learned anything, I wonder.

8. I can't stand Manc's attitude but having been Head of Art/textiles for 12 years, I now find myself teaching another subject as well...this is what I think (I'm not sure I'll slag off subjects...what is wrong with you all?).
    When teaching Art I create all schemes of work/ resources/ examples from scratch - I decide what I teach and how. Organisation of practical work and classroom management is sometimes tough but it is an enjoyable subject to teach - there are very few restrictions placed on me and 'anything goes', it's all about creativity and it's great.
    My other subject is very different, I have text books and resources gallore, all bought in - I am told what to teach and how to teach it, I am restricted in what I do and have to work towards SATs tests .....it is hard work.
    I do not believe that that it's harder....just totally different and I find that a lot of things I would like to do are not possible because I am teaching a core subject and have strict deadlines to meet. Classroom management is a doddle, resources are there for me..
    There is always going to be a debate about which subjects are 'better', 'harder' etc.
    My situation is this- I have a 2.2 in Textile design from a Met.Uni (not a REAL uni!), I am a practical person and can do most practical things well. My husband is an academic with a 1st from Oxford in French and Latin and an MA in translation...anything practical and he has not got a clue. He can't do what I can do and I can't do what he can do.
    I wonder how Manc deals with children who are not as academically gifted as others, does he /she/it deal with their achievements in a dismissive, condescending way - are they thick because they do well at practical subjects but not academic ones?
    Just thought I'd ask.

9. Almost forgot, just before some of you want to know how on earth a person with a 2.2 in textiles can possibly be qualified to teach a core subject(!) My first degree is in Physics.....Art teachers are all thick arn't we?!!!!!

10. I wonder where I stand I teach English and Art? hmmm?

11. LOL!!!!!!

12. muppet237 - so did I! I trained as an Art teacher and taught that, then English crept in as I also have an English degree, and now I only teach literacy (FE now but started in secondary) - but I'm the first to be asked to do Art covers.

I can't say which is 'easier' as it depends on my mood... and the marking seems to me equally arduous in both. GCSE art moderation sessions? aarggh!

13. Oh, it would seem i missed all the fun.

Saying that art gets a 'slagging off' often in opinion. In fact only the other month was there a thread spouting similar things.

All i will say is please English teachers, do your job and at least try and raise the standards of English amongst students. It might help if you created your own SOW or lessons every so often instead of lifting them from textbooks. Hehe

Thanks.

14. manc

manc New commenter

Ok I'll try. Thanks for the advice.

I don't know why the poster should presume that I 'have it in' for non-academic children.

I don't think art is of no value.

It's just less time-consuming to teach.

15. Haha, clearly you are a teacher wh sticks to their own little bubble. Actually i think English is a breeze.

Oh look, a textbook with everything in for me. i shall photocopy and use that.

Oh look a play, lets spend 10 lessons just reading it. Take it in turns now a page each.

Explain then why it is less time consuming?

16. manc, once I'd got past my first year (when EVERYTHING seems time consuming) I couldn't say which was was more time consuming. If you're both organised and dedicated then there are more similarities than differences.

As an art teacher I'd be constantly ripping out useful images, articles and so on from magazines; going to galleries; making notes about films.

As an English teacher, much the same hunt for resources really.

To mark properly, you need to make comments on the work - if it's an artwork, I could find myself writing pages, especially at GCSE. (Yes I know it's better to do this feedback WITH the student but it's not always possible). It was pretty much the same when marking English coursework; you have to be fully engaged with the whole process.

In art I could spend a lot of time preparing materials, but then in English there is the task of ensuring all resources are ready.

The one thing that was different was that in my second year of teaching, I tended to take English work home to mark at my leisure. It was too difficult to take sketchbooks home so that had to be done in lunchtimes and after school. I personally think that made me more efficient - whenever I took work home I'd faff to ages before getting round to it!

I prefer teaching English to Art now. I did Literacy this morning, and took a cover art session this afternoon - and the art one has knackered me out! But I think it just suits me better, I don't think English is easier.

17. manc

manc New commenter

LOL at the idea of reading a play out for ten lessons.

Like every lesson is soooo different in art. How do these massive sculptures I see being made for GCSE projects get built? In one lesson? I don't think so.

In my school, as in many, we English teachers have to give two homeworks a week to each class: art does not.

Marking a sketchbook every so often is no comparison to the daily markload of an English teacher.

18. Manc - maybe the best thing to do here is to agree to differ.

19. I think the amount of time you spend on a teaching job is down to the person, not the subject.

All I know is that I work a 6 day week, and am at school till 5.30pm most nights. In my school holidays I make resources for my projects which is very time consuming, and I write new schemes of work from scratch for all key stages. Yes, English set more hwk per week, but Art have more classes to teach per week as we only see them once a week. So come report writing time, I usually have 14 KS3 classes alone. I think that reading an essay must take longer than marking a sculpture, but then I also help make stage sets after school, and help out many other subject teachers with art things that they need doing.

It's all swings and roundabouts. No one can prove anyone works harder or less hard than them, you have no idea what anyone else's job entails so nobody is in a position to judge.

Maybe everyone's job would be a bit easier if we all just supported each other, and gave each other credit. We ALL work bloody hard if we are good teachers and care about our jobs.

20. Well said.
    I hate this 'My cat's whiter than your white cat' mentality.