1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

we art teachers are being slagged off!

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by oldtimer 2, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Post 258, i put your theory to the test and you were right, they defended their subject and quite rightly too.

2. I can't believe it. This slagging match is still going on. Hey manc, where did you disappear too from August 2006 to October 2007. Were you revising your study design? Have you brought it up to date yet?
    Or are you still studying 'Wind in the Willows'?
    Your sounding very tired manc you should give your colleagues a back and come out here for a holiday. Best wishes from Australia, the weather is great mate.

3. manc

manc New commenter

Good.

Your post sounds partially insane, however.

4. PLEASE CAN WE STOP THIS THREAD - IT IS BECOMING A LITTLE MONOTONOUS NOW. HAVEN'T WE GOT MORE CONSTRUCTIVE ISSUES TO DISCUSS?

5. Post 264. This thread did stop over 12 months ago.
    But manc is good for a stir. He loves picking up errors in your postings. So it is always appropriate to include a few it keeps him on his toes.
    Now off to bed manc and have a good rest.

6. manc

manc New commenter

And part of the so-called wind-up is to pretend your mistakes are deliberate.

As if!

7. Isn't it constructive though to defend ones profession and subject?

I understand though if you have read this thread from the start it can be monotonous.

I shall let it go now anyway, i would say to manc, go and observe other subjects for a few days at a time.

8. Poor manc, you haven't grown very much in the last 12 months.
    I agree with darkness you should make ever effort to see what is happening in other subject areas and then you might understand something about developing the whole child.

9. manc

manc New commenter

Who says I don't understand that?

I just think that your way of developing the whole child is a lot less time-consuming than mine.

10. Someone is obssessed with getting in the last word ;-)

Sad.

11. manc

manc New commenter

Don't pity poor redbreast.

He can't help being so patronising.

12. For someone who has a 1000% more marking you seem to have plenty of time to spend posting.

Perhaps this is why the marking is building up.

Remember a good planner keeps the paper away.

13. "It may be true that to err is human, but to remain in error is stupid."

14. manc

manc New commenter

Golly, as ever I am bowled over by the originality and wit of these postings

15. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

16. Just to add my bit. When year 7 arrive they have done very little Art work at primary school and we have no levels to base targets on at first.We are teaching skills that have hardly been touched upon.I also find it ridiculous that I am expected to work to CAT scores that predict grades yet these kids have not been tested on Art at all.
    I love teaching Art but find it tiring having to do the job of a technician as well also having key stage three pupils only once per week. In total I am tracking 312 kids at KS3 alone. We are not given the time that core subjects are given but are expected to get the results.

17. I was reading that post, that is not fair from the English ppl slagging art teachers.

18. I thought teaching Art was the easiest job in the world! I must ve done around 20 different jobs before becoming an art teacher, but its certainly the easiest job I ve ever done, plus its great to be involved in Art everyday, Don't complain just be grateful. Plus because Art is considered so 'unimportant' by the people in power we get left on our own a bit. So enjoy it!!

19. Mrs Grumpy

Mrs Grumpy New commenter

Art Teachers have always been blamed for absolutely everything for as long as I can remember.

We're often "seen" as less academically credible, unkempt, inarticulate, unreliable - and yet in many schools/academies, whatever, it is consistently Art and its staff delivering good results, putting an excellent "face" onto the place's presentation, ennabling School Productions, displays, exhibitions, etc, and generally working their socks off!

Just because we're not in the staffroom moaning, or stalking the corridors of power with a clipboard or tablet in hand (we haven't time!) and also because we have comparatively little taste for Education Politics, we get knocked again and again.

Few Art teachers rise to the top ranks of School leadership in secondary, especially - yet often we are very intelligent, well-qualified and professionally respected - and THAT IS WHY we are so consistently "knocked".

I've been teaching for a long time, and did climb the greasy pole, but there is less satisfaction in the job the further away you get from the "chalkface" as we used to call it.

We have to take stands when needed, to get others to understand.

Years back, I had very little non-contact time, and when I had, my room was in use, so I engineered a very large batch of huge pieces of work to mark, and processed into the staff room at the head of a line of pupils laden with these, before setting them out all over the floor and chairs. When the pupils had gone I proceeded to "set out" the work in merit order, adjusting and re-spacing them, in a really diligent textbook manner, studying each carefully, and making notes... it took me 21/2 hours to mark these, I was cursed, grumbled at, many staff enjoyed looking through the work of students they knew, I caused chaos ... but I did get my room back when I had non-contact time, so I had again somewhere to mark work in peace! Also several staff commented that there was more to marking Art than they'd thought, two commenting that they could have "done" five sets of maths in that time.

- I really felt I'd managed to teach other staff a bit about what the demands of Art teaching and marking were, then.

20. To be honest I don't think we need to justify ourselves or our subject to anyone...let's just worry about ourselves - we know we do a good job. Who cares what an anonymous keyboard warrior on an online forum says or thinks?

I will admit, some of the poor use of spelling and grammar does not necessarily strengthen our cause or paint Art teachers in a particularly favourable light. However, some of us are very literate. I would love to see an English teacher swap roles with me for a day and teach a successful monoprinting lesson, or an exciting and innovative contextual lesson. Or work with clay. On the other hand, I dare say my knowledge and understanding of Lord of the Flies, To Kill a Mockingbird, Holes, Of Mice and Men etc. could well rival your own. I have a lot of respect for English teachers and the pressure you work under. Why do you feel the need to go out of your way to belittle another subject? What do you get out of it?