1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

we art teachers are being slagged off!

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by oldtimer 2, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Manc - I have a question - why is it none of my pupils seem to be able to structure or write an essay? Not even the brightest ones? I ask you this because you're (obviously) an English teacher and I'm genuinely curious...

2. jono1701

jono1701 New commenter

EVERY day of EVERY week, even Christmas and birthdays? Poor old manc, makes you wonder how you find time in your unbearable days to read and post so frequently on here, surely you've got marking to do, make sure you do it properly as most of my kids can barely read, spell, or write in sentences, something us art teachers have to get kids to do as well as draw, paint, design, make, annotate, discuss, evaluate...
    shall i go on?

3. manc

manc New commenter

Every school day obviously.

If children are not adept at reading and writing, is that any more the English teacher's fault than if someone who can't draw very well is your 'fault'?

What a ridiculous thing to say.

4. manc

manc New commenter

I don't know, coffeekid, perhaps your school contains a high proportion of non-academic kids.

Perhaps the skill of essay-writing is harder for most children to grasp than art is.

5. Other way round I would say.
    I think it's far, far more difficult to explain an abstract concept (how to draw, how to use tone, how to use quality of line to create a sense of depth or even heaviness, how to use light and shadow or even colour to create a mood or an atmosphere)than to explain how to structure an essay. And I say this having explained and taught my classes (S3 and upwards) how to structure an essay - they certainly didn't learn how in English.

6. I would say manc is just disorganised as a person. Seen a few English teachers like that.

7. Er manc, you must be a bit disorganised. Sorry. But I don't do 1000% more marking as an English teacher than I did as an Art teacher. I prefer English teaching... the marking is more straightforward.

8. 1000% more marking? Thank god he isn't a maths teacher...

9. manc

manc New commenter

OK, so maybe I underestimated.

Why is it a sign of lack of organisation to have a lot of marking in a literary subject? It makes no sense.

10. manc

manc New commenter

I can't comment on your personal circumstances, webfoot. Have you taught a full timetable of both subjects to enable you to compare?

11. It was just the sheer volume of marking that you implied you had, that made no sense.

12. Yes manc. I began as a full time Art teacher. Then I did half and half - and THAT was the most exhausting. Now I am solely English.

Doing half and half was the worst as I was stuck between two camps, attending two lots of department meetings, creating twice as many resources and so on.

Concentrating on just one subject is easier - regardless of the subject - as you organise your systems and day around the particular and unique demands of the subject.

13. I really dont know how other people think, but im so over this post...please lets get along and stop the rot!!

14. manc

manc New commenter

It makes a lot of sense that there would be a lot more marking to do with two homeworks to set pw in a essay-based, literary subject.

If you teach that subject fulltime then you have a shed-load more sitting-down, word-based, reading and annotating work to do than in a more practical subject.

So therefore, English is more time-consuming of necessity. Art may be time-consuming if you choose to change what you did in previous years.

15. The marking may take longer - on the whole though, English as a subject doesn't take up more of a teacher's time than art. It averages out.

16. manc

manc New commenter

i'd like to think that was true.

17. manc, can I ask on what basis you are making your assumptions? have you ever been an art teacher or are you basing it on seeing teachers leave early? How often do you sit in on art lessons to make assumptions about what or how we teach?

18. I would like to know an answer to the last post. I can see a difference in style of marking obviously but to me personally i would say as coffeekid says they average out evenly in the end, art which is so practical requires i feel far more preparation and also we have to think about health and safety in a lot of areas.

The trouble too is there is no right and wrong in many areas except with certain use of materials etc, and really can lead that teacher to mark what others might feel is incorrectly, hence the moderating, which ain't pretty sometimes.

19. Dear Manc (and others with the same opinions),
    If I had it, I would personally give you the extra money you deserve for all the extra, harder, more time consuming marking you do - just so that I don't have hear about it any more. Unfortunatly, I can't....so, I will just accept the fact that I will always have to listen to people (and you are not alone Manc, I have heard all this so many times before) chuntering on about how unfair everything is......I am glad I don't work with you.

20. manc

manc New commenter

I think they say it...

because it's true.