1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

We are under staffed. Should we tell the accrediting bodies?

Discussion in 'EAL' started by grdwdgrrrl, Nov 16, 2019.

1. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

That’s about it. I’m under water and overwhelmed with the amount of students needing support.

2. Vietteacher

Vietteacher New commenter

Are you at an international school? I'd be wary of going over the heads of anyone unless the benefits were clear and tangible. I'd start recording evidence of how you're trying to fix the problem, e.g. making management aware, adjusting schedules to group students, working with other teachers to increase their support. Going straight to an accrediting body will likely create bad blood and may not get anything done.

Could you look at how support is offered and if there are any ways that it could be streamlined? Focus on your weakest students first, see how in-class support can be improved by the class teacher for stronger students.

And remember that you can do what's realistic with the resources given. Focus on the things you've done rather than the things that haven't.