1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"We are pregnant" and similar statements

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Middlemarch, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

When did it become trendy for women (and sometimes their partners) to say 'We are pregnant' or 'We are trying to get pregnant', etc? Who started it?
    I ask because a friend said to me the other day of her son and his wife 'They're not coming to England this year because they're pregnant'.
    I know I risk censure for this, but I think it sounds ridiculous.

2. Middlemarch

When did it become trendy for women (and sometimes their partners) to say 'We are pregnant' or 'We are trying to get pregnant', etc? Who started it?
    I ask because a friend said to me the other day of her son and his wife 'They're not coming to England this year because they're pregnant'.
    I know I risk censure for this, but I think it sounds ridiculous.

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

It does sound ridiculous - almost as much as the condescending nurses who ask "How are we feeling today?"

4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Please excuse me whilst I vomit...
    [​IMG]

5. Middlemarch

Thank you for your support. It made me want to throw up, too.

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Yes,it's pretty annoying. I'm sure that I've even heard my best friend (male,mid 40's,has very young kids with a younger wife) saying it. 5 years ago,he would have fallen about laughing at anyone saying this! I actually wonder if that is said by midwives and others that couple encounter during pregnancy and somehow,it sticks as a saying?

7. Me too.
    I've been pregnant - it was not a shared activity!

8. dande

dande New commenter

I recall somebody on TV say they'd 'caught pregnant' which I thought was a ridiculous expression.

9. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

It always makes me squirm when I hear it.
    The leader at our Weight watchers meeting always refers to our "weight loss journey" [​IMG]. Potentially a deliberate tactic to aid weight loss??!

10. henriette

henriette New commenter

I've been pregnant: I certainly made sure he knew all about the discomfort all the way through both times, so maybe it <u>was</u> a shared activity?!?

11. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

if i ever got pregnant, i'd make sure he shared in a great deal of it as well, henriette

12. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

We are not amused.

13. We are a grandmother.

14. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

15. He has been thoroughly warned that if he EVER tries that routine I will kill him, and then his mother will kill him, and then his sister will probably kill him as well.
    I guess we're trying to get pregnant makes sense since it's a collaborative activity, but nope - he's not pregnant (he's the one out for the count snoring like a freight train on a night), I flipping well am!

16. Middlemarch

No, I won't even allow that - people used to say they were 'trying for a baby', so it's not as if there was no phrase for it before this one was invented.
    Re people who mentioned the use of 'mum' earlier, as in 'Mum's coming in for a meeting today'. What's wrong with 'Jason's mum's coming in' or 'His mum's coming in' - it doesn't take that much longer to say, does it?

17. doomzebra

"We're trying to get [insert female name here] pregnant"

18. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

So did I. The 'caught pregnant' phrase, that another poster mentioned, makes me bristle; abnegation of any responsibility and the allusion to catching illnesses like the common cold

19. doomzebra

I feel the same way about "fall pregnant"

20. I agree that it's either the rather graphic 'We're trying to get (insert female partner's name) pregnant' or 'we're trying for a baby' - the alternatives just seem to imply that they might end up with both partners pregnant and it's not just sickening but also technically incorrect!

I should confess that I'm almost certainly biased as I have come to hate most of the terminology which seems common place when you're pregnant - asking how 'baby' is instead of 'the baby'; making up pet names for my yet-to-be-born son such as 'bump' and 'little man' which make me want to puke; calling me 'mum' when I'm really just a fat woman with an internal parasite at the moment and a host of other cutesy terminology which implies I am either an imbecile or that my personality has completely changed because I'm incubating a human.