1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

we are not going to make it to half term, are we......

Discussion in 'News' started by Corvuscorax20, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

:(

it's all falling to pieces here, just muddling through from hour to hour, as the whole staff and student body of the school disintegrates.

19 staff off. A quarter of students off in some classes, needing work sent home. Rumours of covid death of a local infant school child, not confirmed, inquest has been opened but cause of death not yet established. Children with parents ill, or isolating away from home, leaving teenagers unsupervised.

Its all begining to feel like March all over again.

2. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

I guess this varies from school to school. Our Yr 11 are currently at home following a positive case but other year groups are well attended and our staffing is still at high levels.

A local school lockdown is more likely than anything nationwide at the moment

3. chachapluche

chachapluche New commenter

That must be a really difficult time for you, I am sorry this is all happening where you are. Lots of year bubbles closed in nearby schools where I am too. I expect this will carry on until the end of this academic year to be honest

4. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Honestly, I'm amazed you've got this far-I don't know of any high schools round here who aren't closed to at least one year group.
    I already know of parents who are ill-and apart from their high school children, there's little reason for them to have been at risk (one such person got shopping delivered, and only went out on walks at quiet times in uncrowded areas, because he was worried he'd be vulnerable).
    I'm really upset to hear about the child-if it turns out they did die of Covid, that will be especially worrying to all parents as infants were supposed to be 'safe'. It's terrible for the family.
    What's worse is that so many people whose children have been sent home to isolate don't bother! On the one hand, some kids are kept in with no fresh air or exercise for 2 weeks (sic), on the other, some parents don't bother. In a local lockdown area...

agathamorse and Andy13uk like this.
  5. Andy13uk

Andy13uk New commenter

I live in a local lockdown area and my school is yet to have any cases so we are definitely in the luckier groups of schools. Trying to enjoy that as long as it lasts.

Maybe enjoy is the wrong word, even without cases this school year feels x2-3 harder than normal and normal was pretty hard.

1 30 min break a day, 3 hours of back and back teaching, cleaning down desks between lessons, walking around room with a mask on as few of my kids would work without support it all feels too much at some points.

I don't disagree with anything my school is doing and think it is well run, it's just insane the amount extra to do this academic year and does not feel sustainable for the rest of this year and potentially beyond.

agathamorse and Sally006 like this.
  6. scott1980

scott1980 Occasional commenter

And my school want to resume swimming lessons. Must share this with them.

7. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

How does this affect swimming lessons? They restarted at my school once they could work out how to organise the changing rooms.

jellycowfish likes this.
  8. scott1980

scott1980 Occasional commenter

We are mixing other bubbles to run swimming and have kids who don't socially distance. Already had 1 covid case. Can't see why we take more risks. And changing rooms are shut in pool so kids travel back in wet costumes and staff. Not great.

9. Newidentity

Newidentity Occasional commenter

I don't live in a local lockdown area. But at the moment, my school is closed to one year group. Other local schools are sending year groups home, or most of year groups home. Currently, 3 children that I teach have had positive tests and are self-isolating. Over the summer we had one parental death. The numbers here are just going up, day by day.

10. CabbageWhite20

I can see why that is not a good idea.

11. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

So you have a couple of classes of children walking the streets in swimming kit? Really?
    Safeguarding anyone?

12. upfrontsponge

upfrontsponge New commenter

Why in the first place would a school even try to make swimming classes during this pandemic? Unless each of the kids has their own pool and not sharing it with anyone at a time...

13. CabbageWhite20

My understanding is that a chlorinated pool is actually a very safe environment to be in. It is when you are out (clustering together, changing etc.) that the risk needs to be managed much more carefully.

Like everything it is really tricky to balance - not learning to swim, or not having access to regular exercise is also a risk.

14. Andy13uk

Andy13uk New commenter

Really should not have posted this yesterday.

1st confirmed case in our school today!! Hope it is not the start of many.....

PamDemic likes this.
  15. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

I work in a school in a local lockdown area.

We’ve not had a single confirmed test. Only one other local secondary has had a year group sent home.

But I feel it’s only a matter of time.

PamDemic likes this.
  16. Newidentity

Newidentity Occasional commenter

We are no longer being told if we have any new confirmed cases. I wonder why?

Mrsmumbles and PamDemic like this.
  17. reflective_pedant

reflective_pedant New commenter

I found out that a colleague I work with has symptoms and is getting a test, from a student. No mention of it from management.

PamDemic likes this.
  18. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

2 bubbles closed until after half term now

19. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Which means they closed today for a fortnight...no better or worse than any other closure of bubble this half term.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

A big vat of chlorine sounds quite a sanctuary... Leave the kids on the side, jump in yourself - make like it's a compulsive spontaneous spa day.

Keep treading folks. Just keep treading.