1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

We are not allowed to remind children not to touch their faces.

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Malachite19, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Malachite19

Malachite19 New commenter

I disagree with this so much. We have been warned not to mention the Coronavirus at all, in case we frighten our students. So I have just watched a whole year 10 class sitting scratching their faces, twiddling with their ears and biting their nails.

They are not allowed to slump in their seats, so I can tell them off for not sitting bolt upright, but I can’t mention faces.

Does this seem wrong to you? I’m not even completely sure the school is being properly cleaned each night. I don’t think our deputy head believes in the Coronavirus particularly.

I’d like to hear what’s happening in other schools.

2. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

Tryi screaming at them "DON'T TOUCH THE CHROMEBOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!"

Dorsetdreams and FriarLawrence like this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ahhh well, if they are following the news they will be carrying hand gel and the like, as well as washing thoroughly with soap, so shouldn't be too terrible if they touch their faces.

Alternatively, give them the kind of work that needs both hands.

4. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Leak the story (anonymously if necessary) to the local press - they could print it with a headline like:

"Local school ignores Coronavirus warnings"

5. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

I'm sure if your DH gets it he might change his opinion.

6. teapot24

teapot24 New commenter

Year 10 are not allowed to know about the Corona virus?! Now I could understand not worrying Reception class but even in my class we talk about how we must keep our hands away from our faces to stop germs getting in a d my class are 4 years old!

7. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

Oh how delicate we've become. I sincerely hope we don't have a real emergency.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

Our whole school were told about it, in a similarly sensible manner, in assembly.
    Can bet your life all of nursery and reception didn't take it in at all and the rest already knew from parents.

catbefriender and TheoGriff like this.
  9. GreenTrees123

GreenTrees123 Occasional commenter

I think there has to be careful balance between encouraging sensible precautions and not sparking panic in the children, who can be impressionable and anxious.

The approach we've taken at my place is threefold:
    Firstly, we are encouraging pupils to wash hands and avoid close contact etc as a general precaution against all types of illness.

Secondly, we have banned the use of the words 'coronavirus' and 'covid-19' in a staff-to-pupil context. We do not want children worrying unnecessarily and believing some of the more hysterical media speculation.

Thirdly, our SMT are putting in place a set of detailed and practical contingency plans to ensure that we are able to respond effectively in the likely event of the virus spreading.

These include provision for Skype lessons, as well as a facility for staff who are self-isolating or suffering mild symptoms of the virus to work productively from home, whether that be through educational research, taking lessons from their bedrooms or curricular planning.

celago22 likes this.
  10. Flowersinspring

Flowersinspring Lead commenter

And there it is! Well done-did you almost forget your trolling opportunity?! :D

11. caterpillartobutterfly

Surely staff reassuring pupils by using the correct names for the illness would be better than trying to think of an alternative? If children have read some ridiculous scaremongering, a sensible teacher letting them know that coronovirus is less dangerous than the flu, would seem sensible.
    SMT are putting in place provision for a teacher to skype from their bedroom?! Are you hoping for a sting of allegations?
    And as you and SMT are responsible for the curriculum planning,(being one of the reasons none of you have time to teach lessons) I can't see that you could trust a teacher, let alone one who is ill, to do any such thing.

12. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Lol at the entire post!

13. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Why are all our local primaries telling children about it, and insisting on handwashing etc then? I appreciate that it could be argued that high-schoolers are more likely to watch the news/use social media and SHOULD, in most cases, have learnt about hygiene long ago, but as you say, they haven't all-so why are primary staff told to tell them if secondary staff are being banned from doing so?
    Plus all staff I knew used to go on about vomiting/flu bugs/swine flu etc-so why the sudden ban on Convid?

14. GreenTrees123

Because children in 2020 are more sensitive than those 5-10 years ago and these issues need to be handled carefully and sensitively.

There is also far more access to the internet and technology now, so children can find sensationalist and unreliable information far more easily.

15. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Surely all the more reason to give them sensible and reliable information.

16. lrw22

lrw22 Established commenter

I told my class of year 3s about it. As soon as we started to talk about hand washing some of them piped up with “is this cos of corona virus miss?” I told them it was but that good hygiene is good for preventing all sorts of bugs and illnesses. I also reassured them that were they to get coronavirus, they would feel as though they had cold or flu for a while then they would get better and be fine. They were all ok with this.

17. GreenTrees123

And that can happen without the virus being mentioned by name.

It is also vital to ensure that the planned curriculum isn't completely derailed by coronavirus hysteria. I think we could well have a situation where schools are closed for at least a one month period (which could happen as soon as Friday 20th), so we have to make sure that as much education as possible takes place between now and then.

18. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Funny I was thinking the same.

19. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

I think if Coronavirus had existed before say the year 2000, it would be allowed to work it's way through the population just like the flu. One can debate the ethics of this but I believe the (over?) reaction we have is due to our far more risk averse society and saturation of news and social media. If the only update was a daily paper, the 6 o clock news and Ceefax there wouldn't be the same hyperbole.

Not allowed to mention it to kids? I personally think that's extreme. I think it should be allowed to be mentioned, but in a only in response to their questions and in a calm way.

I believe smoking kills more per year than CV ever will.

20. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Influenza too.