1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

We are all being screwed by the fat cats behind HS2!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Oct 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...xpensive-white-elephant-not-compared-with-hs2

How good are your commuter and travelling provisions? How easy is it to catch a bus or a train to work or to go on holiday? We are just about to spend £55 Billion, or more, on a white elephant vanity, techno machismo project, HS2, the high speed rail link between Birmingham and London. This money could be far better spent on YOUR transport needs.

HS2 has no sensible business case. It will only allow a few people to travel between the centres of London to Birmingham in 50 mins instead of 1 hr 30 mins, a measly saving of 40 mins. – for £55 Billion plus!? This 40 mins saving will easily be diluted and eaten up by the commuting times to and from the HS2 station.

No doubt such a vanity project will be deemed by the authorities to attract terrorist attention so further delays will be caused by security measures similar to airports.

HS2 will only carry people - no freight – so what contribution will it make to industry other than allowing fat cats a day out? It will of course cost more than the existing travel systems. And in any case business and industrial managers are more and more video conferencing nowadays, so avoiding any need for HS2 in this context.

So why is there such a push for HS2? Well, for a start the guy who is running the development company gets paid £750K per annum!! I kid you not!! And therein lies the answer --- jobs for the boys! The HS2 pushers are not thinking of the benefit to the nation – they are thinking of the benefit to themselves! The rest of us are being taken for a ride! (Or maybe not!)

2. CedricDaniels

CedricDaniels Established commenter

He is leaving the public sector to go to Rolls Royce

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

They are building a nice shiny 'HS2 College in the middle of Birmingham.

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

The usual result of improved transport to London is that more people commute to London.

TCSC47 and slingshotsally like this.
  5. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Our Lords and masters obviously never took any notice of the need to think SMART. London is filled to breaking point with people who do not need to work there. London should be our tourist resort and £55billion would be a good down payment for a new commercial centre with an attached housing estate so that people do not need to commute - they can have the healthy walking option(or a zip line). I would give tax incentives to encourage businesses to build affordable ( low rent) houses withing walking distance. If they must invest in a new transport system - think small. Our railways and motorways are ideal conduits for a small gauge automatic transport idea to remove high volumes of vans / lorries from roads and possibly have a 4 seater family carrier (cheap and cheerful).
    The Humber Bridge, Channel Tunnel and Wembley Stadium never got proper funding or broke even. HS2 will never pay for itself - so do not bother.

yodaami2 and TCSC47 like this.
  6. CedricDaniels

CedricDaniels Established commenter

The Channel Tunnel and Wembley Stadium are privately owned and privately funded.

7. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Don't know about Wembley Stadium, but the Channel Tunnel has never made a profit. Can't remember how long ago but the Tunnel was going bankrupt, so to save face the government paid off all their debts, otherwise the interest on the tunnel's debts was growing faster than they could pay it back. So much for private enterprise -- eh?

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Apparently Birmingham is the place of choice for Londoners opting to move out.

9. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

There might be some supply work there for you Blazer!

10. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

An agency I was signed up with has already contacted me with what may have been a post. Not interested.

11. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Precisely because it already has excellent travel links to London. The £55 Billion would be so useful elsewhere!

peter12171 likes this.
  12. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

The west coast main line is full to capacity. There is a great need for more capacity.

The present line is pretty much incapable of further upgrades; so a new route is needed.

I don't know what a new conventional line from London to the North-West and on to Scotland would cost; but I am sure it would not be cheap.

(FWIW, on Monday last, I travelled the 500 miles from Bordeaux to Reims in 4.5 hours. Yesterday, I travelled the 80 miles from Reims to CDG airport in 31 minutes. I think high speed trains are excellent)

13. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

What neddy said!
    If I could get my hands on Beeching and if I was violent............

install and delnon like this.
  14. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Could there ever be a compelling case to get to Birmingham quicker?

15. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

If you use the present rail link between Birmingham and London you will observe that the vast majority of track bed used to have four lines, where two have been taken up. There is a start for your greater capacity.

It is, as much freight, as it is anything else, that has filled up the present capacity of the west coast line. HS2 will not take freight. Also to argue that it will alleviate the problem by taking passengers from the west coast line, is nonsensical. HS2 will stop at London and Birmingham only. The commuters and passengers will only use the train if it stops somewhere convenient for them. It will serve no other stations and will hold no advantage to anybody not living or based right in the centre of London or Birmingham.
    Simply not true! Read up on the topic.

France is totally different case to the UK. It has twice the land area but the same population as the UK. It has a complete UK of area to build all the transport links it wants.

Your 4.5 hours for 500 miles and your 31 mins for 80 miles sounds impressive but you have not factored in booking, buying tickets, passing security, getting to and from the station and boarding. It is not so impressive when you do that.

And the French high speed rail lines cost a fraction of what HS2 is going to cost. Present a monkey project and you get monkeys running it!

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Aren't nationalised railways great!

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Meanwhile the roads get busier and busier... lorries on lorries on lorries...

18. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Wembley stadium was pulled down before any funding had been agreed to build a new one. The finance for Channel tunnel was supposed to be in 3 parts, some private money was secured for parts 1& 2 but as far as I know part 3 never did.
    The principle seems to: We have a plan, we think we will get some money but if we run out the government will be duty bound to bail us out.
    And where did the £750m go from the lottery fund used to build the Millennium Dome that nearly got demolished after a couple of years.

TCSC47 likes this.
  19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I keep being screwed...

... but I get no satisfaction.

Geoff Thomas likes this.
  20. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

And my point still remains -- £55 Billion plus of your money is being thrown away on this white elephant.