1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WD 4000 - think before changing school?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by scienceteachasghost, Oct 25, 2015.

1. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

TheoGriff has posted about the number of teachers wanting to resign.

I have similarly noticed that the number of posters who have posted about being unhappy in a new school after leaving an old one they have been at for a number of years is staggering.

I understand some of the reasons of course:-

1. Relocation of WAG/HAB's job Making your old school uncommutable.

2. Pushed out of old job?

3. Unhappy with old job?

4. Made redundant from old job?

These are the 'top four' that I think in many ways you have no choice about.

But the way teaching is nowadays, exercise caution if you are moving for the following:-

5. A promotion. Is it worth the risk of an unknown school?

6. To move 'slightly closer' to home. Yes, but a nice school and a 30 minute commute vs a school from hell and a 20 minute commute? (admittedly change the numbers to 90 and 15 and it becomes far, far harder.)

7. Because you are 'bored' with your current school. (And what you want is a far more stressful school?)

8. Because the grass is greener on the other side? (Remember, they only show you the bit they have fertilised/maintained at interview, the weeds await when you start!)

And avoid the last two at all costs?

9. Because your 'friends' are at another school? Terrible, terrible excuse.

10. Because you feel 'obliged' to move for experience and the whole 'rolling stones gather no moss' argument? Yes, but rolling stones sometimes get chucked down the waterfall............

Ladykaza likes this.
  2. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

(And before anyone asks,for my 3 teaching posts it was 2,4 (money wise, the job was there but with a 60%(!!!!) cut and 4.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Thank you for some good points there, @scienceteachasghost .

I think your list of reasons for moving are pretty spot on, although I might add a department that is not friendly and cooperative, as a negative reason for moving, and wishing to move nearer to family, or (dare I say it?) to a better catchment area for your children's schools as pull factors.

As today is Sunday and you have time to relax, could I ask you and everybody reading this to do me a favour?

Let's get rid of those Little Green Martians!;)

https://community.tes.com/threads/lets-get-rid-of-those-little-green-martians.723039/

I find it so much easier to recall a poster and previous postings when there's a picture associated rather than just a name.

Thank you!

Best wishes