1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ways to make invigilation fun.

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by marcopront, May 2, 2012.

1. Or at least tolerable.
    Now IBDP exams are upon us, I am sure many of you have the pleasures of invigilation. What do you do to pass the time?
    I only had five students to invigilate today, so spent my time walking round and round the room - so go some exercise done as well.

2. Or at least tolerable.
    Now IBDP exams are upon us, I am sure many of you have the pleasures of invigilation. What do you do to pass the time?
    I only had five students to invigilate today, so spent my time walking round and round the room - so go some exercise done as well.

3. akirk

akirk New commenter

Have we had this discussion before?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3742915.stm
    Personally, I don't find invigilating fun at all but I always count the number of right handed and left handed students and see how many shuttlecocks are stuck in the rafters...

4. Isometric exercises - upper body only.
    Sing in my head.
    Fart.

5. 576

576 Established commenter

In a previous school where year 11 came in for their exams out of uniform, I would have a mental fashion contest between the students.
    As a child, one of our teachers I recall told us that he had counted all the ceiling tiles and the number of blocks in the back wall of the gym.

6. Get all the invigilators together and play pacman, one person becomes pacman, the others the ghosts - up and down between the desks... when you get caught you swap roles. never done it but it sounds like fun...

7. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Poetry, of course.
    Long ago, a colleague and I would pace the room, scrupulously attentive of course but each one clutching a scrap of paper on which we would invent a limerick about one of the examinees. When complete, it would be handed over, and if it was funny enough to cause an indecorous giggle, an alcoholic forfeit would be paid that evening.
    When candidate seventy-three
    Left the hall for a much-needed pee,
    Imagine his shock,
    When he found that his c(l)ock
    Was pointing to quarter-past-three.
    yes, well, etcetera.
    Nowadays it is still poetry but being too respectable for limericks, I place a photocopied sonnet or similar short verse effusion, in English, French, Spanish, Latin, German or Ruritanian, on the front or the back table.
    Pacing up and down the room like a Prussian officer on parade, in a style much admired by younger colleagues, I bend for a second over the text as I reach it, read a line, and spend the next four minutes walking and memorising, until I can reasonably return to the source for the next line. Once the 45-minute stint is over, I am culturally enriched to the tune of fourteen lines of immortal verse.
    Naturally I also have time to consider the great existential questions such as: to which of the Year Thirteen girls would I propose marriage, or at least a weekend in Marbella, if I were an older, wiser, and richer man?
    But everybody does that, and the poem idea has the merit of being original.

8. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

9. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Today I was invigilating English A1.
    I was pleasantly suprised by the number of highlighters students chose to bring in to the exam, so I spent some time trying to spot which student had brought the most into the hall.
    The Results:
    One student had brought in 6 differently coloured highlighters, but these were of the slim, penlike attempts.
    I was looking for the thick and chunky type.
    I spotted one student with 5 of those, and was able to ascertain that she had used each one at least once ( I promise I did this without standing over her shoulder and counting)
    Can anyone beat that?

10. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

A flashy early goal, Ian, but the game has two weeks to run yet, and I'll put our team of invigilators on to this, in search of a rresssullt.

11. Brilliant - within a fortnight I will have learned the words to 'she'.
    Don't you mean younger, studdish, carefree? And Aya Napa?

12. In a large exam hall (rows labelled 1-9, columns labelled A-F etc.) my colleagues and I used to enjoy battleships and games of 'most likely to..'. Oh how the three hour A level papers just zip past.
    When I was at school, the staff used to enjoy 'most creative/silly invigilation walking contests' - anyone who giggled at the offerings had to buy a round in the pub later. There were some memorable offerings: I can visualise Mr. Williams and his John Cleese impersonation twenty years later! (Can you tell how much attention I was paying to my General Studies paper?)

13. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

Wall sits, calf raises, tricep dips... Any exercises you can do at the back of the room. I can easily forgo my gym sesh if I have two hours of invig to mes around in instead... Helps if other invigs want to make it competitive, you can get a lot more in.

14. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

I once invigilated an 8-hour exam (4 hrs a.m., 1 hr break, 4 hrs p.m.) for Certified Financial Advisers with one of the maths teachers from school who spent the entire 8 hrs calculating how much he had esrned during the last 15 minutes of the exam... Since it was an American exam, we got paid rather well and it did help pass the time. A bit.

15. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I also like to know which student has the exam no. 007 and then judge how well that student could 'fit the bill'.
    If this year's 007 candidate in our school has a 'Licence to Kill', I wouldn't be too worried. She's as sweet as pie and has trouble remembering how to turn her calculator off.

16. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

It is not possible to make invigilation interesting. The only possible thing is to spend the time during invigilation to think of creative ways to avoid it in future.

17. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Geography has come and gone, and that's where I had high hopes of beating Ian60's early sighting of six differently coloured highlighters, but no.
    So dismal and solemn has that subject become, that there was scarcely even a coloured pencil to be seen, although it says somewhere in the regulations that Geoggers is the only subject where the candidates are allowed to use anything other than blue or black ink.

18. orangepatriot

orangepatriot New commenter

I've experienced the pacman game in mumerous schools. Always a giggle.

19. Giggle!
    In a previous life I worked at a school in the ME where some of the kids of the ruling family attended. You know, the eyes close together, the permantly confused look, the result of intimate cousins etc.
    One particular boy from said family raised his hand 15 minutes into a chemistry mock GCSE exam and announced "This is chemistry." Teacher said "Indeed it is...". Boy said "I don't do chemistry."
    Hoo hoo.

20. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

I once tore up the shah's grand-daughter's pyschology exam because she ws cheating. Of course, if I'd KNOWN it was the shah's grand-daughter, I'd have just told the girl she was copting from to move her desk closer...