1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ways to get baby to feed faster

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by madenglishgirl, Mar 22, 2011.

1. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

I found that burping my LO after every ounce or so helped...but then again, I could've had a particularly windy baby!

2. You don't say how old your little one is but mine took absolutely ages (or cluster fed for an hour for 5 mins at a time) until she was a good 3 or 4 months. When they are tiny feeding (with nappy changing, burping and some sleeping in between) is pretty much a full time job. Settle in on comfy seat with book, with a drink and a snack!

3. i have a slow feeding LO too. burping regularly, kissing his cheek and allowing him to give up on a bottle all work for me. my tins say i can use the milk for up to 2 hours after making it, so if he gets hungry again within 2 hours he's given the same bottle, otherwise it's a new one. we throw away between 6 and 18 oz of formula a day depending on how he's feeding. he's not taking the full amount recommended by the formula company or the HV but he's putting on weight.

4. kittenjames

kittenjames New commenter

I made an extra hole in the slow flow teat using a sterilised needle. Also I sit lo on my lap with his legs dangling between mine and supporting the back of his neck, so he's sitting up, then if you hold the bottle like a pen near the teat you can put your second or third finger under lo's chin to help them get a stronger latch. This came from my hv and seems to speed things up! When I feed him at bedtime I snuggle him up and let him take as long as he likes, this usually includes several mini sleeps. Like spiderkin we throw a fair amount of formula away because some feeds he takes 7 oz and sometimes just has 3 or 4.
    Kj and lo 10wks

5. madenglishgirl

Have you tried a vari-flow teat? That way they get what they need when they need it as they just suck harder/softer as needed,

6. lindsaygii

lindsaygii New commenter

I'd second the person who said settle in for the long haul.

When mine was looking hungry I used to make a cup of tea, get a biscuit, find my book and arrange a table by the chair I was going to feed him in.

Then the two of us settled down to the job. I read quite a lot during that period. It was actually quite nice!!

7. madenglishgirl

Going in it for the long haul is easier if BFing - not so easy with a bottle (IMO) as I never had a spare hand to hold a book!

8. This is all great advice - thank you. I'll look in to the vari-flow teat as that might help. I like the idea of accepting it will take a long time too and enforced relaxing time! My problem is that I get itchy feet so to speak so I guess I will have to learn to stop for feeding!
    Thank you!
    x