1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ways to develop childrens ability to reflect on, talk about and extend their own learning?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by LucyD84, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Following observations from SLT, recent feedback was that I need to develop the childrens ability to be able to reflect upon and talk about their own learning. Does anyone have any suggestions/things that they do in class to develop this? How can I encourage the children to want to improve their own play? We reflect upon things we have done throughout the day. We encourage the children to improve/enhance/make things even better...is there anything else I can do?
    How do you encourage your children to reflect upon and talk about their learning? Any tips gratefully received!

2. I have been talking to the children about what they may be able to learn if they choose to access specific activities that we have set up.
    Then when we review what we have done that day we are reminding them what they may have been learning.
    My expectation is that they will soon be able to tell us with some confidence what they have been learning.
    Haven't been doing it long, but I'm hoping it will bear fruit before too long.

3. I was discussing this at our local schools meeting the other day and someone said they got the children to look through their learning journeys at regular intervals to recall things they did and discuss what they learnt with a member of staff. Think this is a nice way to do it on a more 'formal' basis - having a specific time to do it as a whole class that can then share their learning with others.

4. Yes, we had special time with special books in small groups, sticking in work, looking back at things in book, sharing success, anotating with their comments and discussing next steps with the children. A lovely way to do it and very powerful. I am hoping to introduce it to my new setting.