1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ways to annoy your classes at the end of term...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by learningyoghurt, Jul 12, 2008.

1. The gift is actually called experience!

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Never heard of peer assessment?

3. Like it!!

4. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

More evidence if needed Mr Gove, that from May, the secondary sector stops work and expects nothing from its pupils. How many Millions lost here then?

5. Sorry, where is the evidence of which you speak? Kids asking to play games or watch DVDs? Must have been something they picked up on in primary school.

6. I like to write to word TEST on the board and lay the paper out on the desk. Worth it just to see their faces drop!

7. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

Why must it?
    My Year 3's are working right up to the last day, but we have saved things like playscripts, sandwich making and painting til the last few weeks of term. The joy of Primary is having your class all day and covering the whole curriculum. Much more scope for creating fun lessons WITH educational value. Even when teaching Year 6, I've never had a child come in and ask for a fun/DVD lesson.
    I understand that you're riled by Richie's comment, but why lay blame on Primary schools?

8. Thank you SleighBelle, I agree, the only thing my Year 3's ask for is an afternoon playtime during the last term. Even then I say it depends on how hard they work first.

9. I'm afraid I was being facetious in response to a rediculous comment. I wasn't actually suggesting that what I said was true, but made a comment of comparable stupidity to the comment to which I was responding to illustrate the point I was trying to make.

10. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

I think you need to read post 8 or nine in this old thread

11. That's so mean, especially if you have to go to the supermarket on the way home.

12. Oh dear, Eva, you really are suffering from end of term, sense of humour by-pass. I tell my class they are doing assessment basket work. This has to have their full name, age, date, on every piece and be put in the assessment basket for me to mark and report to their next teacher about their ability, application etc and which will be crucial as to next year's groups etc. Of couse, the real destination is the waste paper basket.
    And whenever I'm asked that tedious question 'What are we going to do Miss?' I usually say, 'W.A.S.' (wait and see). Whatever helps you through the day! And, why am I on here on a Saturday?!

13. Student: Siiirr, are we doing something fun today?
    Me: Yes of course we are.
    Students: What are we doing?
    Me: Well, Maths is always fun!
    [​IMG]

14. Geez, I really hope I don't get to the stage where I actually feel like you do. Maybe it's time for a different pofession; with that type of attitude they probably dont like you too much either!

15. learningyoghurt

learningyoghurt New commenter

What's wrong with my attitude, exactly? Please clarify

16. I'd actually like to be the sort of teacher who has enough of a rapport with their classes to be able to banter with them.
    Equally, work must be done. Just because it's sunny and holidays are looming does not lessen the importance of education. Sometimes, it is the unfortunate duty of the teacher to play Big Bad Wolf to a class of kids who fail to realise that they are in school to learn.
    Besides, these forums are a way for teachers to blow off steam. No one ever has the perfect job all the time- surely, we all have days that ignite the evil streak of leave us screaming- if only internally? In any career.
    Don't get me wrong; I'm just starting my career. I don't even have QTS yet and I'm all wide-eyed and optimistic and no doubt quite sickening to my poor colleagues. But I find these threads amusing and entertaining, as intended. Plus it keeps my doe eyed optimism in check!

17. Every maths lesson is a fun lesson! Yay! [​IMG]

18. Do so agree with this, they're all spoilt little brats!

19. Have you thought about another profession?

It is so sad that this is regarded as ... amusing...??

Look, the pay is probably better as a dustbin opperative. Might be more suitable.

20. I agree - these threads are funny but if you really feel so down about the job it's time to get out. Also - you're right about the pay! No hope now for it going up so it's all going to be about the love for the job...