1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ways on improving a child's concentration?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by abiga26, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Are there any specific games,lessons or activities that can help a four year old boy concentrate better?

2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

I think you're asking the wrong question. Why does a four year old boy need to learn to concentrate better? Give him a couple of years of running around being an aeroplane and he might be ready to concentrate. Force him and now and you might put him off for life.
    Sorry, that sounds a bit harsh, but it feels as if you're asking a question like, 'How can I get this month old baby to talk better?' And the answer would be to wait a bit!

3. I have no intention of forcing him lol. This was the request of the mother and simply wanted him to work on his concentration skills.
    What you're saying makes sense though. Thank you.

4. Perhaps it would help their mum to know that 4 year old boys have a testosterone boost at the age of four that is 20X greater than girls which is why they appear not be be concentrating but indeed need to run jump and play to enable to to concentrate!

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I agree with the above. Does he never concentrate on playing with cars, building with Lego, digging in the sand? If he does then he already knows how to concentrate on something that is meaningful to him.

6. I agree with all the above. Most children can concentrate for long periods on activities they enjoy. When they get to around four, some parents want them to be able to concentrate on things they have no interest in, often learning to read or write whilst sitting at a desk. I doubt there's anything wrong with his concentration skills, just the things he's asked to do.

7. Thank you all very much

8. I think the key is finding out what interests him and what he enjoys doing, and finding or creating activities around that. Additionally, you will find children will concentrate when an adult interacts and supports them in doing something within their,"zone of proximal development". So, for instance, if mum could do baking with him (provided he wants to), judging carefully the elements which offer challenge without being too difficult, she will hopefully find he becomes engaged and enthusiastic.