1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Waybuloo in class?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by EudoraW, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Hi there, a mother came to me the other day and said that if I was ever looking to do any easy and calming activities to do with the children then Cbeebies programme would be a good place to start. She said something about it being a great influence on her child and suggested I use it in class.

I'm always wary of putting our class in front of a TV, but am intrigued by it's use of yoga and themes of happiness and sharing. What does anyone else think?

Thanks!

EudoraW

2. I'm guessing you have a reception class? (Any older than that I wouldn't even think about it!)
    I have a 2 year old who watches it and personally I wouldn't even consider using it in class! Yes it has yoga and themes of sharing etc. but they don't talk properly (reminds me of telly tubbies!) and I couldn't think of the educational value it would add in timetabled time.... I don't think it's structured enough for you to get any real 'objectives' out of it.
    I have Year 1 and I wouldn't place it at that level for them... Nursery maybe.
    Just my opinion!

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I agree with the above - I'm a reception teacher, I put Waybuloo on once but it bored them. I prefer music for calming down, I have a dvd with a fish tank and classical music which is better.

4. Why do they need to be plonked in front of a screen to be calmed down?!
    My 3 year old niece has already started to grow out of waybuloos.

5. I can't stand Waybuloo and neither can my 4 year old. She says it's for babies. She's much more interested by 'Show Me Show Me' which I love too! It's not calming and has no yoga but definitely interests the reception age group!

6. Waybuloo is firmly aimed at babies and pre-schoolers. Much as Teletubbies was.
    I know lots of people criticise the daft noises they make, but I seem to remember that these were based on a rather large amount of research from child psychologists and speech and language therapists into how children's speech develops. Not appropriate for those with developed language skills I would say though.

7. I love waybuloo for my little girl who is 16 months old - she copies the yoga moves and the music is lovely. However I would never use it in school and find it a bit odd that a parent has recommended that you stick her kid infrint of a programme! You can find calming and gentle music anywhere and that'd do the job.

8. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Yeah, do whatever the parents suggest, that's the way to go.

Perhaps they might suggest that their little Hero would like to play in the sand all day? Or have sole rights to the Lego tractor?
    Just put on back to back Shrek movies - you can't go wrong.