1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Waterloo Road.............

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Sep 1, 2010.

1. A school newspaper published and printed en mass in a matter of hours.
    1. Why wasn't it proof read ?. All our mass publications are doubled checked.
    2. Where did they get all the ink ? My school never has printer ink and any thing printed off has to be huge importance !
    3. Where did they get all the paper ? Ours is rationed to a ream per teacher per term !

2. I do wonder if they have an expert on hand when they film WR. If they do then they should sack them because whoever their expert is, they have likely never worked in a state school.

3. Yep, I am with you Belle. SO much of it just doesn't ring true...where are the subversive types for a start? One old boy is vaguely cynical and that's it. These are sickly, plastic people and the plot lines are pathetic...
    The new Head sat down in the staffroom to explain how things would be done. She was given a cup of coffee and spoke to the staff...all five of them! It's all so bloody unrealistic. She addressed less than one year group of kids in assembly too. Just how many people attend Waterloo road? Staff outnumber kids and as someone has said, even the 'hard nuts' respond to the 'kindly but firm' teachers. Vomit!
    I am sure viewers not connected with school in any way would think the Head's 'three strikes and you are out' speech was hard-hitting and eminently sensible, but was I the only one braying "Yeah right...!" at the telly? [​IMG]
    I would so LOVE to make a film about my last hellish school...[​IMG]

4. Yes. Alex Dolan made the film. It's discussed here.
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/309843.aspx?PageIndex=4#4487776
    Her film is available on You Tube. Perhaps producers of Waterloo Road should view it.? They may then come up with a few realistic characters and plots.

5. love it love it love it love it!

Makes my Wednesday evenings :)

6. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Can't watch **** like this.
    Is Amanda Burton slumming it? Career down the pan? Mind you I did not like the previous bulgy eyed head, I was saw her in rep nearly 20 years ago and she was **** then.

7. We have a goldfish with bulgy eyes. I don't like him either. There must be something in it.

8. jacob,
    get yourself a nice box set of The Bill and watch that instead, lol.

9. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Yet again, we agree Jacob.
    This is becoming a habit [​IMG]

10. WR is totally unrealistic but I love it!
    The humour can be excellent, such as in the last series when Grantley Budgeon came to school wearing a toupe. Brilliant. And when the lesbian teacher pretended to seduce Steph the French teacher.
    It does make you wonder how realistic all those police/detective/spy/medical dramas are!!

11. impis

impis New commenter

We've got a 'Grantly' at out school
    And a 'Steph'! [according to my colleagues, its me!!!! OOer!! And me a happily married woman!!!

12. reddevil

reddevil Occasional commenter

It makes me laugh sometimes at how unrealistic it is. Does everyone that hates it work in a secondary school? Must say if Robson Green is coming it will suddenly become a lot harder to watch.

13. Actually, I've seen quite a few try to come in whilst excluded - some of them would rather be at school than at home.

14. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

In one of my schools a Grantley type teacher came to work in a women's wig. His form dared him to wear it for school communion - and he did. I know the pupils have never forgotten that!

15. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I adore Robson Green so I can't wait (it will make up for me having to watch 2expressionsAmandaBurton!).

16. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I love him too,ever since the early days of Soldier,soldier. Gutted they don't seem to make Wire in the Blood anymore.

17. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

Aaaah, Soldier, Soldier! Robson and Jerome singing 'Unchained Melody' while Donna was having it off with someone else. Loved it, really wish there were repeats on Dave [​IMG]

18. tangerinecat

tangerinecat New commenter

I sincerely hope that dad has had his CRB done.

19. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Made it more watchable.

20. I agree it's pretty unreal but I do enjoy it, Mr Mead certainly brightens it up too! ;)