1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

water area and people who help

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by GemsEYFS, Feb 12, 2012.

1. GemsEYFS

GemsEYFS New commenter

half term and i am thinking school on a Sunday night- SHOCKING!
    We are looking at the different people who help us next term in nursery and i have some very good ideas for my continuous provision, but water and sand??

I can not think of any way to link these to areas of provision to my theme? I also have had my current water disply up for AGES now and want something fresh.
    Any ideas would be great!!

2. GemsEYFS

GemsEYFS New commenter

half term and i am thinking school on a Sunday night- SHOCKING!
    We are looking at the different people who help us next term in nursery and i have some very good ideas for my continuous provision, but water and sand??

I can not think of any way to link these to areas of provision to my theme? I also have had my current water disply up for AGES now and want something fresh.
    Any ideas would be great!!

3. Same here, I don't think we ever truley switch off tho!! Are you planning your weeks by having a different person who helps every week?
    It's a tricky topic to include in water and sand...

Water
    *could you theme it around lifeboats and how people help at the seaside - lifeboats and lifeguards, cargo boats. with boats, play people, sailors, fish, flags, etc
    * washing day - based on mummy helping at home. Clothes, soap, washing line, pegs, washer hats, pinnies etc
    Sand
    * building site / Bob the Builder - diggers, dumping trucks, cranes, lorries, small people, gravel, pebbles, clipboards, pens, wheelbarrows
    When I did the topic of 'People who help us' I ordered a book called "Planning for Leraning through People who help us" http://www.amazon.co.uk/Planning-Learning-Through-People-Help/dp/1904575536 which had lots of ideas in it, including things for sand and water. It is set out week by week. I didn't use all of the ideas as there is lots within it and I wanted to use my own too, but it was a good starting point and is nicely laid out, including links for homework and skills.
    If you want I could scan it in and send it to you?
    Hope this helps x

4. GemsEYFS

GemsEYFS New commenter

Thank you for all of your ideas!
    Yes, we are doing a different person each week with visitors each week also.
    I like the bob the builder idea, think that would really get the boys. I could put bricks in the tray with the sand and the the digging equipmentand dumper trucks. Yes- think you have planned my sand for me;-) Thank you mrst.

Your water list is very comprehensive also. I think the washing up would be rally good ( water is one area my girls do not seem to spend as much time) I think baby dolls, clothes etc with a washing line would be really good.
    If you could scan a copy of a few interesting pages that would be great for me, thank you.

Gems

5. We are doing it too after half term!
    In sand I wanted emergency vehicles but we have nearly none SO I am putting in the Mobilo with some laminated pictures of like the side view of different emergency vehicles to blue-tak onto them... Then lots of pics of different vehicles and people to 'inspire' then some small world people... Then will just see where the kids take it.

Also struggling for water ideas. Would live to do sea-rescue but don't have any suitable toys for it really... Or am I just being unimaginitive now?

Also done a lovely fire-fighters related interactive maths display - very proud of that!!

Good luck!!