1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Watching Yes Minister

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Marshall, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

and it's so sexist - it's good to remember how it used to be.

2. I had a friend who was in the Civil Service who couldn't watch the programme at all as he said it was so true to real life it wasn't comedy at all.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I love Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister.
    So many topics are relevant to today's politics.
    It's on Radio 4 at the moment - just covered the Honours system and civil servants expecting their gongs.
    It's covered waste in the NHS, education changes, arms deals - just so many things that have not gone away.
    And yes - it is horribly sexist. All the decisions made by middle aged men.

4. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

Yes, it's often repeated and it's a programme that transferred to radio remarkably well. Dad's Army is another and Steptoe and Son. Of course, when you've watched the originals you can't help but have a mental image of the characters. It would be fascinating to have someone who never watched these programmes on TV describe what the characters look like.
    A bit like watching a film and being disappointed after you've read the book in reverse.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

It was reputedly Thatcher's favourite sitcom, and she insisted on recording a custom-written sketch with the cast as a PR exercise to show that she had a sense of humour (as if). The cast looked totally embarrassed, especially Paul Eddington.

Likewise Hancock, which was scripted by the Steptoe writers. TV sitcoms were much more verbal in those days, given that their roots were in radio and their writers had cut their teeth in radio.

I thought Victoria Wood's 'Dinnerladies' was written as if for radio - I've always wondered if that was her original intention.