1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Watching "Dunkirk"

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Jan 8, 2012.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

What a great story and I love John Mills. OH and i have already had to find hankies and we've only just started watching it.

2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Ooh, don't talk to me about Dunkirk! We got very, very lost trying to find our way to the beaches a couple of summers ago. We ended up in the middle of the oil refinery. And it was sweltering.
    Quel catastrophe!

3. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Solid actor and difficult to believe that this actually happened -moving scene in Atonement which features Dunkirk -am now watching ' Dambusters' !

4. Atonement was filmed on Redcar beach. My son was offered a part an an extra but, although sufficiently scrawny, refused to have his hair cut.
    Regarding the actual Dunkirk. Isn't it a bit strange that the ferry terminal is miles from the town?

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

In both senses of the word - it involves a 5 minute long uncut steadicam shot showing the central characters walking along the seafront during the battle. Technically very hard to achieve.

I rather like the saying 'The Battle of Waterloo was won on the playing fields of Eton - and Dunkirk was lost in the classrooms".

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

i would tend to think that most of history is lost in the clasrooms.........how little do pupils understand the significance of such events...or care.We are a live for today society with no real concern for the past.other than some forms fo tokinism.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I can't believe I just missed Dambusters.Saw the last 10 minutes - I just love the ending. It makes me feel very patriotic.
    I cannot imagine what my grandparents went through. We mourn 1 death in Afghanistan. Battles in WW2 had 1000s of deaths. The first wave on Omaha beach suffered 90% casualties. Can you imagine stepping of a landing craft with machine guns and mines everywhere?
    Dunkirk - again just imagine that beach. The German army coming down on you. Being told to stay behind to protect the troops.
    A few years I read a report about an Arnhem veteran who was assaulted by local youths. It really upset me. Our elders have been through so much and did so much for our nation - both males and females. They deserve all the help and support they can get.

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

And the beaches themselves. having seen the film several times and all the newsreel stuff it seems really starnge to see it full of people on holiday. However Dunkirk itself is an absolute hole. Worth a visit to the war graves at the back of the town where there is a Dunkirk section as well as a WW1 section.

9. yes it's amazing how well it played the part of war-torn northern France, one of my old haunts doubled nicely as a bombed out building. They wouldn't be able to do it now Redcar has (half) a vertical pier.

10. My dad served in the Royal Navy and he had a great time. How else could a working class lad see India and The Mediterranean? My grandad, by contrast never recovered from his time on the Western Front in WW1. It haunted him until his death in 1980.
    Regarding Atonement I can't suspend belief and pretend the smoke is from the battle. It's from nearby ICI Wilton.

11. My Grandad served in the Royal Navy too - only way to avoid going down the mine. He had a breakdown in the 50s over what he had witnessed (would probably be diagnoses with PTSD now). My Great Grandfather was on the Western Front - died at Loos, he's on the South Bank War memorial.

12. None of this counselling mullarkey for your grandad's generation. Only advice was not to talk about it and get on with their lives.