1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Watching/listening to the news!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lexus300, Nov 27, 2015.

1. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

It is so depressing these days and all providers seem to sing from the same hymn sheet. It seems to me that only bad/distorted news is on offer, there is little to zero variation. So I have stopped watching and listening, I tend to read one newspaper which is still biased but less so IMO.

Do the media select, interpret, emotionalise and manipulate facts?
    Do they have an agenda to placate and confuse?
    As each crisis develops, are we being fed misinformation, spin and deception?
    Is there a way to cut through all the noise and keep a clear head?

2. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Feeling the same way. I'm not just talking about the Syria/IS crisis, but just about every other piece of news. I had to switch the radio off too (for sanity's sake) after a particularly horrific story. Stay sane or stay "informed". Hmm.

3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

As for your questions, I really don't have an answer.

4. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Watching the news has always been pretty depressing, but it does seem to be getting worse....

5. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I like your last 5 words in particular. They resonate with me.

6. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Nor I.
    I have suspicions!

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The 'off' button?

jamiedoorknob likes this.
  8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

:)

9. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

I find not listening to any news makes me less well informed.TV news has less content as they feel the need to major on images rather than content.

10. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

It s the manipulation that I can't stand.
    Charlie Brooker does some good analyses of this. (As did the brilliant 'The Day Today')

Here's one on 'economics'

=

11. jamiedoorknob

jamiedoorknob Occasional commenter

Charlie Brooker is entertainment, not "analysis".

12. jamiedoorknob

[​IMG]

13. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

[QUOTEamiedoorknob, post: 11507637, member: 6747402"]Charlie Brooker is entertainment, not "analysis".[/QUOTE]

Of course it is. Did I say otherwise?

Edited to add: You've edited your post, and now my post looks nonsensical . Oh well, never mind. Its not that important (to me anyway!)

=

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Satire and people like Charlie Brooker, can be very effective at highlighting and communicating aspects of the political/economic/social spectrum that are poorly covered or miscovered by mainstream media.

And television media sources are increasingly becoming sidelined, Vox, Vice, Breitbart, Huffington Post [I'm sure there are more] ... there are alternatives.

15. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Assuming of course that you are being given straight information.
    I find not listening or watching the news makes me feel more relaxed than when I do.

16. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

You are missing the point JDK.

17. jamiedoorknob

Yes, you called his comedy vids "analyses". Analyses are what you will get in the FT or the Economist but I'm sure you don't want to come home in the evening and read them. Charlie Brooker makes the audience feel clever but surely you can't think its proper news.

I did it within seconds but I apologise for the confusion.
    If it isn't important to you it should be, especially if you're a teacher. Charlie Brooker is nothing more than a comedian. Just because he writes for the Guardian (as a TV critic) it doesn't mean he should be taken seriously.

18. jamiedoorknob

No, I get the point.

There's no "conspiracy" for many areas of news. Real news is hard to understand and people don't want to go off reading foreign policy or economics to work it out for themselves. TV journalists deliver it up in a format that's quick and easy to understand.

Of course they are biased, especially the BBC, who are doing left wing politics at the licence fee payer's expense. You'd hope an intelligent teacher would see through it but sadly its not the case.

19. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

@jamiedoorknob I was referring to analyses of 'media manipulation' not of the news per se. Why you would think otherwise defeats me, I'm afraid.

20. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

The kerfuffle on WatO about Labour policy on bombing Syria. By the end of it I had no idea who thought what. They just seem to want to stage-manage phony confrontations between politicos. Talk about Westminster bubble!