1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Watching a child spiral...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lillipad, Mar 3, 2011.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I have a girl in my class who has very low self esteem. When she has a good day, she has a great day and she will try anything. If she has a bad day, that's it, she won't try, she won't join in and will do anything to disrupt others. I have a good relationship with her and have tried to maintain the 'good day' but I feel it's heavily reliant on me giving her a lot of time and reassurance and encouragement and it's just not workable day to day, but recently i've felt she's starting to spiral downwards and is so disruptive, even if i've just asked her to do something, she'll still do it. I'm just worried i'm losing her again and she was starting to make good progress. What can I do to support her and bring her back? And also have it that it is a reasonable bearing on my time, because I do have 30 others to think about as well! lol.

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I have a girl in my class who has very low self esteem. When she has a good day, she has a great day and she will try anything. If she has a bad day, that's it, she won't try, she won't join in and will do anything to disrupt others. I have a good relationship with her and have tried to maintain the 'good day' but I feel it's heavily reliant on me giving her a lot of time and reassurance and encouragement and it's just not workable day to day, but recently i've felt she's starting to spiral downwards and is so disruptive, even if i've just asked her to do something, she'll still do it. I'm just worried i'm losing her again and she was starting to make good progress. What can I do to support her and bring her back? And also have it that it is a reasonable bearing on my time, because I do have 30 others to think about as well! lol.

3. you don't say how old she is, would a 'secret folder' or diary help her? maybe a book she can communicate with you through?
    Just something she could fill in at the beginning of the day that she knows you'll look at / jot a comment in.