1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Watch your lip when you reply to me now

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I've received a message from TES that I'm now a Top Contributor. It's the highest award you can get off of TES. A bit like ending up in the House of Lords after a lifetime in politics. An award I would imagine that renders me beyond reproach and immune from moderation, even if a suggestion was made that on my journey to this accolade, I'd been a prominent kiddy fiddler, tax evader, rent extortionist or any other cad you can describe.

I'm sorry to tell you all that now I've achieved all it's possible to get as a bonus for posting on here, the will to contribute further with any enthusiasm has diminished, after all, what purpose could it possibly serve? I made it to the top and there's nowhere further to go, so I can relax now.

I suspect it's a bit like having reached level 10 in a computer game and finding there are no further levels to aspire to. How depressing is that? I'm off now to slit my wrists.

rachelpaula008, lexus300 and colpee like this.
  2. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

In which case you can always get a new game.

I'd think that you aren't the only one to have received this "accolade" but it seems that such "high honours" take very little time to time to achieve. (3 months?)
    Perhaps something for TES Admins to consider

Edited to add Well done

3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

On my screen it says you're a Prominent Contributor, not merely a top one.

4. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Same here. Already demoted...now that was quick :)

Duke of York and kent1 like this.
  5. Didactylos4

It may be confusing but there are two (mostly) unconnected "ranking" systems in operation on TES.
    The "rank" displayed below your user-name is from one system and the other system works in the background.
    I have no idea why this is but I'm sure someone will

6. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

Could we have some clarity here? Which lip am I supposed to be watching - top or bottom? And how am I supposed to watch it while I'm posting?

7. Didactylos4

And because I know I read about this after I joined I went looking.
    Explanation from Rosaline here

8. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

You have not reached the peak until you have been granted a signature, so hang on in there, baby!

9. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

I am standing to attention and saluting whilst posting your grace!

ValentinoRossi and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Since I've switched off the 'see signatures' option it wouldn't have any impact for me. I found them really distracting.

smoothnewt and Lascarina like this.
  11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Well, I'll just keep posting when I see something to which I wish to respond, or feel the need to begin a thread.

If it's in Personal, it may be fluffy or it may not, it may be because I would like advice, it may be because I need to offload, it may be just for a chat.

I don't mind who is 'prominent, new, established.' I don't look at likes to post ratio, mostly because tablets don't have the same features as laptops, but I don't mind anyway.

No signature, no top contributor, no matter!

As you were everyone!

Lara mfl 05 and Lascarina like this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Do you have a signature?

No...

Hmmmm

[you have a adopt a really snooty tone for this post to really work]

rachelpaula008 and Lascarina like this.
  13. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Ooh, get you, Mr Spotty Cat, thinking you're more special than us!
    I think we need a TES revolution. I'm going to be Flere X from now on to show my rejection of the reactionary bourgeois and petit-bourgeois ideology and policy of TES signatures, directed toward the incitement of national enmity under the slogan of poster superiority, in practice serving the interests of the exploiting classes; signatures creating the appearance of a false feeling of poster superiority, poster exclusiveness.

So there.
    ;)

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Do you not see my score on the psychopath test?

15. colpee

colpee Star commenter

No No No your Top Contributorness; this is only the beginning of being at the top. Now standard British procedure beholds you to try and make it more difficult for others to attain the same status in society as yourself.

You need to lobby TES to raise the attainment level for 'Top' to prevent too many of the hoi polloi making it. You will need to write endlessly sneering letters to the Telegraph to complain how the whole Top Contributor award has become too easy and debased and is an example of falling standards everywhere. And importantly, you must still post each time a contributor is elevated to wonder loudly what the world is coming too and how it wouldn't have happened in your time!
    Retirement? Tsch, a whole new level of activity opens before you!

16. Flere-Imsaho

Ah, Colpee, so all posters should be above average?
    ;)

guinnesspuss likes this.
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Wait level 10? Level 10?

You've not played a 'computer game' for a while right?

18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Which one?

The top one (stiff upper 'cos I'm British, don'tcha know?) or the quivering bottom one ('cos NuTES confiscated the 10,000 odd messages I have posted since 2002)?

rachelpaula008 and marlin like this.
  19. Flere-Imsaho

Even Tetris went further than ten!

20. nomad

nomad Star commenter

So did Pacman!