1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WATCH OUT

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by stunica, May 2, 2012.

1. stunica

stunica New commenter

Hello everyone just to remind everyone of the need to take care of personal possessions while on supply.
    Getting ready for work this morning - discovered bag was without purse after a day on supply. As I drove straight home from school and didn't move the bag from where it was left - the purse went some time between lunch and last lesson !
    School were not overly concerned - it appears these things don't happen in their school.
    So- horrid start to the day - visit to police station etc etc.
    Lesson learned - don't take bag into school !
    Anyone had anything similar happen ?

2. stunica

stunica New commenter

Hello everyone just to remind everyone of the need to take care of personal possessions while on supply.
    Getting ready for work this morning - discovered bag was without purse after a day on supply. As I drove straight home from school and didn't move the bag from where it was left - the purse went some time between lunch and last lesson !
    School were not overly concerned - it appears these things don't happen in their school.
    So- horrid start to the day - visit to police station etc etc.
    Lesson learned - don't take bag into school !
    Anyone had anything similar happen ?

3. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

Yes... a few years ago my coat went missing. I wouldn't have cared but my car keys were in the pocket! So lesson two... never leave car keys in your coat!
    P.S I never leave my bag unattended... even if it's a "nice" school. I hope you get it back :)

4. seza-lou

seza-lou New commenter

Oh that is just awful. I was so careful whenever I went on supply and I always made sure I had my bag with me when I was on breaks or in a closed cupboard if I was teaching.
    I still have to do this at my school where I now work full time as we have had a few things stolen recently. I really hate it how I can't trust the people around me and how we all now have to be like this

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Actually, yes, had this years ago at one school. Number of handbags taken <u>from the staffroom, during assembly</u> ! And it was a 'nice school'!
    Hence never take a handbag into school on supply. Don't need money unless tea & coffee money, which I keep just enough in a small plastic bag and keep my car keys safe. I wear gilets/waistcoats with zip pockets and other important things such as a data stick on a chain . No handbag, no purse/wallet, no mobile, nothing children would think worth pinching. My 'schoolbag' has lots of different pockets/sections which means children would have to really look through to find something specific and that takes time and more chance of being 'discovered'.
    Horrible thing to happen to you.

6. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

Yes over the years I have had a £20 note taken from my back in a cupboard in a store cupboard where pupils were instructed never to go and a new makeup bag with all new make up in, worth most probably £60., knew who took it but could not prove it....that was the last time I parked anyone in an area where they could access any private property. Now I take in enough money for what I need, a lipstick and essentials. Never put temptation in anyone's way is my motto. However, I feel most uncomfortable if you need to get equipment from teachers desks and cupboards only to find various pots of money and even on one occasion several £1 coins scattered about in a drawer. Now if that goes missing ????? yes you guessed .... we could be in line as the culprits. I have been known to count it and put it in an envelope and hand it to HOD before ....with a signature to say I had handed it in. Temptation is just too much for some. So take care. ...............Oh and this .....I did have my car keys taken, had to get my daughter to find the spare key and drive 20 miles to the school so I could get home and it cost me £60 for the key and £25 to get the computer in the car reset..... Never turned up...... as it was something that had been done before and if they did not find the car to get in it they usually tossed the keys in some hedge on the way home.......................... Children are such sweeties.

7. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

Forgot to mention this.... if you have a remote control key ........ all the students have to do is roam the grounds to find the car by clicking your remote key.......... too easy now or anyone to find your car should your car keys go missing. So do not put them on a fob with all your other school keys.............. beware.

8. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

i learnt the lesson as a young scout leader.
    14 year old scout stole a credit card from my wallet while i was dropping them home in my old Cortina from a camp.
    I went on to the Cubs' summer camp.
    The police arrived two evening's later to ask if I has lost said card.
    He had managed to use it in a local souvinier shop! to buy some tat!
    I remember how completely gutted I felt at the time!

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I have a few small bags on shoulder strap , as well as a bumbag, and one or more of those goes with me to school. They hold my keys,phone, a credit card in case I need petrol or want to do shopping on the way home, a small amount of cash, ID, CRB, a biro and a board pen + paracetemol and tissues.
    Pockets in clothing are used for confiscated mobile phones/iPods.
    I've had my glasses taken (and broken) from the teacher's table on one occasion so those now get placed in the shopping bag that holds any resources I take.
    Pupils these days will cry blue murder if you so much as brush past their schoolbag but they feel perfectly entitled to rummage through the teacher's desk and cupboards ... and bags!

10. If you are with a union you may be able to claim the cost of things stolen at school through your legal protection. I only know this from the time I worked with a vile NQT that the kids hated us much as I did and she had two ipods replaced by the NUT.

11. stunica

stunica New commenter

Thanks...I will contact the union asap...

12. tuftyaurelius

tuftyaurelius New commenter

How utterly and morally corrupt is that school?

13. I've had this happen twice in my last permanent position - never mind supply!
    The once, I had left a member of my form in the room with my bag and said "keep an eye on things" whilst I went to get something from the storeroom (after school). This was before a parents eve.
    Went to drive home after parents eve. and my car keys and purse (with credit cards!!!) were gone! My school was over an hour away!!! The dep. head (a ****) just said - "Call the RAC and they will be here in 45 mins" and this was at 9.45pm!
    A few months later the Nat West called me in after my credit card was refused at Christmas and a Thailand fraud ring had tried to withdraw 3.5K from my account! Luckily there was but &pound;300 in it and so they got suspicious!
    I always guard my handbag now and sometimes hide my purse in the boot in the car and just have a fiver in my bag zipped up in case I can buy a lunch or whatever.
    It's sad that the school were not overly concerned in your case. Says a lot about that school - the least they could do is mention this in an assembly! Another example of us supply TEACHERS (equal professionals) being bottom of the pack.

14. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

In many schools pupils have key lockers. Perhaps they should have some for temporary staff, in the staffroom, as we don't get given the keys to desks and cupboards that many permanent staff have access to for their belongings.

15. Had my car stolen from the school car park!
    Police told me that it happens all the time, though I have
    never ever heard of it! Police said school car parks were one
    of the worst places for car theft & crime.

16. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I used to occasionally supply teach at a notorious school about 10 miles away. My LA agency tried not to place us there for longer than a couple of days per week and my consultant would always ring me on day2 of a longer placement to check that I was still prepared to turn up the next day!
    From my first stint at the school, I became aware that news had spread that Miss jubilee drove a certain colour Corsa. Pupils would ask for verification from me!
    I swapped cars with my husband on Day 2 to put them off the scent.
    Whenever I did more than 2 days in a week, I'd use the car park on successive days for each car and would then park on the road on the third day, getting to the school early and thus not crossing paths with many (or any) pupils.

17. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Had a motorbike "tampered with", no lasting damage. Reported it to the desk who instantly called the Head.
    "Normally I would suspect Billy for this" he said "But Billy's in court today for stealing a car so I think it will be his pal Freddy, I'll get back to you".
    A short while later he did, "I was right it was Freddy, he admiited it and is being dealt with
    It was quite a rough school but with throughly decent staff.

18. While on supply in my NQT

19. .......and?

The suspense is killing me![​IMG]

20. With schools demanding visual ID and CRB's demanded by the school reception 'Gestapo', Take care with paperwork as well.
    A nicked CRB will be no work for a bit.
    I use my drivers card as vis ID and carry me wallet in me pocket (very deep pocket)
    Out the game now as I am sick good luck to you all supply.