1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Washing powder irritation

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Mrs_Frog, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

I recently bought a well known 2in1 washing powder instead of my usual brrrilliant one, as it was the end of the month prior to pay day and it was on offer. However, I think I am having a mild reaction to it, itchiness on areas of my body where clothes are tighter (eg straps, waistbands, top of socks etc). Its not all over me just in certain places.
    I will not be using this one again, but was wondering, has anyone else had similar reactions, and do such reactions concentrate in areas where the clothes are close fitting and therefore in more contact with the skin. Or if it is washing powder irritation, should I not have it all over me, rather than in certain areas?
    Ta very much
    B x

2. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

Cheers, glad its not just me.
    Thats what I was thinking.
    B x

3. I have this problem too, but only with biological powders and like the OP its worse on areas where clothes rub such as elbows and knees. I no longer use powders partly for this reason, I use eco balls instead! They are expensive initially but you soon earn your money back from the savings you make by not buying powder. They work really well might be worth a go for anyone suffering with itchy skin.

4. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Yes. Bio powder does this to me. Worst is on my face after sleeping with a bio washed pillow. Non bio and no softener here always.

5. chubbyone

chubbyone New commenter

I can only use persil washing powder, once husband used bold on some clothes I had left down at camp ( was in army so lived in camp) after a Christmas ball. Let's put it this way he was not going to ' boldly go' anywhere for a few days as the knickers he had washed had been worn for about half a day and had to go commando for the rest of the day!!!!!! I can laugh about it now but yes reactions can happen and I found nappy rash cream or sudacreme did the trick.