1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Washing mistakes

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Sillow, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I put my glittery Halloween costume in the wash and now I have a load of dark clothes that look like they belong to Tinkerbell. Last week I threw a canvas bag into the machine at the last minute with a load of clothes and didn't check inside; now I have a load of clothes with ink stains from a couple of biros all over them. Anyone else make mistakes like this?

rachelpaula008 and cissy3 like this.
  2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Do clothes need washing?

guinnesspuss, Sillow and cissy3 like this.
  3. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Yes. I once got the washing out and it was covered with so much paper and linty stuff, it was almost impossible to remove.

Turns out someone had stuck a roll of toilet paper in the wash.

Sillow likes this.
  4. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Paper hankies in wash - every goth's nightmare

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Anyone seen the cat recently?

6. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

There are things you can buy in the laundry section of supermarkets that can be helpful.
    Wet rubber gloves or sellotape are quite good for getting tissue fluff off.

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Hahahaha!

Many years ago my mother in law got her friend to knit a fine woollen shawl for my first born - the sort you can pass through your wedding ring. After I put it in the washing machine it looked like a medium sized felt mat. I still feel the regret!

guinnesspuss and cissy3 like this.
  8. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

9. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

One evening, we put in a load of washing and put it on the timer, so that it the machine would come on at about 5 am, during the Economy 7 period. When we came down in the morning, the kitchen was full of steam; something had gone wrong and the machine was nearly boiling the water in its drum. After this treatment, most of the clothes would have been tight on Ken and Barbie!

10. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Years ago (obviously) my boyfriend was an art student and very fashion conscious. He was into snug fitting jumpers and being besotted at the time, I knitted him one for Christmas.

He loved it and wore it until it needed washing. I wish I had included washing instructions with it. It would have been fine as a coat for a (very) small dog. The relationship was never the same!

11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

This story is about the tumble drier so is not exactly on topic. And it makes me wince to think about it even now. The tumble drier is in the kitchen and so is the phone. One morning I had the drier on when the phone rang. I quickly turned off the drier because it makes so much noise I can't hear what anyone is saying on the phone. Conversation over, I turned the drier on again and sat down to finish my cup of coffee. After a few minutes I became aware that there was an unusual thudding sound coming from the drier and thought it was malfunctioning so I got up and turned it off. I opened it and, to my horror, found my lovely cat Precious inside. When I took her out she was so dizzy she couldn't stand. I felt sick with guilt at what I had done. And the moral of this is always check that your appliances are pet free before you turn them on.

irs1054 and guinnesspuss like this.
  12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Particularly the liquidiser.

13. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Been there, done that and got several tee shirts - much to my son's disgust!

14. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Tissue in the wash? Tumble dry the worst garments. It doesn't always rid them of tissue-fluff but it does clear much of it.

15. Spiritwalkerness

Would 'liking' be inappropriate?

Yep, done all of that, had one of those rubber roller lint gatherer too. You can think you've got rid of it all...until you're out in a club with UV lights... The shame:(

16. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I think so.:(

17. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Ahhhh!!! It's a long, long time since I crossed the threshold of a club! ;)

18. Spiritwalkerness

You don't have your own UV lights, strobe lights and smoke machines at home? Just me then?:confused:

Sillow likes this.
  19. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

Erm, Sillow - perhaps get someone else to do your washing.... : )

Sillow likes this.
  20. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

@rachelpaula008 - I've been okay at it for the last twenty odd years. I'm not sure why I've suddenly developed an inability...