1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Washing machine help!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by catherinaaa, Dec 22, 2010.

1. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

Hi all,
    Just went down to my basement to do a normal machine wash and found that since the last time we used the machine (2 days ago) there is a collection of dirty, stinking water at the bottom of the drum. I am in no way technical and haven't a clue about plumbing and am panicking somewhat.
    Needless to say I haven't put in the new washload! What should I do? Can I run an empty wash to try and clear it or is this a plumber's job? Anyone had similar with their washing machines?
    Thanks.

2. The first thing to do is check the filter at the bottom right hand corner of the machine front. The second thing to consider is that your dirty water drain pipe is frozen.

3. If your washer is up against an outside wall it might be that the waste pipe out of the washer, or indeed the waste pipe out of the house that it hooks into, is frozen up - ours has done this in the cold weather. If it's the one from the back of the washer you should be able to feel the ice in the bendy hose and that one's fixable with a hairdryer and the washing up bowl catching the end of the pipe for when the water starts to flow again... the other, well I've still got a frozen sink waste pipe upstairs that we can't get moving again!
    Our washing machine and dishwasher both had frozen waste pipes the other night - fixed with a hair dryer melting the ice in them.

4. catherinaaa

catherinaaa New commenter

I think it is ok- it is in a communal wash room in my block of flats where everyone else's machines are too. Spoke to a neighbour and she just advised me to put it on a spin cycle to drain away the water which I did, and seems to have worked and now have put it on an empty load to try and get rid of the horrid stench! Fingers crossed!
    I suspect a pipe may have frozen in the last few daws but tday is much warmer and am hoping this means it has thawed out, don't know.
    Thanks for advice.

5. If it's anything like round ours - today's the first day our sink waste pipe's thawed out letting us drain the sink.