1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

washing hands after going to the toilet

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by missh27, Feb 18, 2012.

1. I teach nursery and have 26 children in my nursery, me and the TA seem to constantly reminding the children about washing their hands after they have been to the toilet.
    So after half term I want to do a carpet session to remind them how important this is.
    I was thinking of putting glitter on my hands and then shaking hands with a few children and gettin them to shake hands with more children until all children have glitter on their hands to show how 'germs' can be passed around.
    but if anyone has any other ideas or anything they have done then that would be helpful
    Thanks
    Miss H

2. This is a great idea!!! I have also heard of other people doing the same sort of lesson and it works really well and I am very tempted to do the same thing with my class after the break
    Everytime they come back into the class after going to the toilet we ask them did they wash their hands and 1/2 of them still say no! (at least they are honest about it!!) so off they go to the sink in our classroom and they then have to wash their hands. Gah so frustrating I wonder what they do at home.

3. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Just the same as they do at nursery and school, I expect. My daughter's 9 and I STILL have to ask her if she has washed her hands. Sadly, I sometimes check her hands, find that she's lied to me and have to send her back to wash them again. [​IMG]

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

5. sadika

sadika New commenter

It's important that they learn how to wash their hands - we had the school nurses in a few years ago (no longer available due to cut-backs) and they put stuff on the children's hands which only showed up under special light - took some of them quite a few goes to get them clean enough! We learned a song:
    Wash wash wash your hands
    Until they're nice and clean
    Wash the front and wash the back
    and even inbetween - don't forget your thumbs!
    We use that song regularly and talk about the sequence - so many still put soap on dry hands, don't rub it in and rinse it straight off! We do regular reminders - it is so important!!

6. MissMistoffelees

MissMistoffelees New commenter

Love the glitter idea and the song, stealing both for my nursery children!

7. Love this! Glitter is such a simple idea! Going to do this with my reception class. (Who also constantly have to be reminded about washing hands!) Thanks.

8. sadika

sadika New commenter

I only know the tune from singing it with the nurses - sorry! It has it's own tune ... it didn't come with the music...

9. That's why I love EY forums! What fab ideas! glitter, song active learning. We are starting our 'animals' this week beginning with pets. I thought I could take pics of glittery hands and put them near the rabbits and fish at nursery and near the toilets to help the children remember. Thank you so much

10. I love this thread as I have to constantly remind the children in my class to was their hands. I do often wonder why it is not a more instinctive response but then when I am out shopping etc. I often see adults leaving the ladies toilets without going anywhere near the sinks and many just "show" their hands the water without a thought about a squirt of soap let alone a good scrub, yuk yuk yuk!!!! if this is the example set for some of the children then it is no wonder that they look at us a little strangely when we appear so keen for them to wash their hands!

We had the school nurse use the glitter technique. She put Vaseline on the children's hands first and then glitter. She then got them to open a door, collect their lunch box etc and showed the class how the glitter/germs spread. They then had to clean the areas they had touched with wipes. I have a super story book at school that I use when trying to teach the children about personal hygiene, I can't remember the title and author off the top of my head but I will post it tomorrow. Take care, I hope that you have fun with the glitter!
    ??????????????????????????

11. What age is 'nursery' in UK may I ask?

12. the children in my nursery are 3/4

13. Would guess the tune for the song is Row row row your boat. Certainly fits nicely!

14. ooh that does work.
    well done you :) [*]

15. The glitter works really well for demonstrating germs - but you also need a practical handwashing activity. Glitter is a nightmare to wash off even as adults. I have done an activity where you cover childrens hands in marmite then see how long it takes to wash off. children are amazed at how long it takes to get off, and you can always still find some inbetween fingers, at the side of the little finger etc. I found marmite a but stingy as I have sensitive skin - but it does work. You could also use paint, or very runny clay. Other yeast extract products are available ;-) ;-)

16. The song tune? - definitely Row Your Boat. I stand over my R kids and check they are washing. Once they reach Yr 1 nobody checks or sends the kids to the toilet to wash hands. They are sent to the toilet, the rest of the personal hygiene issue is the child's. They all seem to survive!

17. sadika

sadika New commenter

YES!! of course it's Row Row ... silly moi!!! Now just HOW many times have I sung it ....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. The glitter is a brilliant idea! We have a washing hands visual timetable displayed in the toilets that we also use for carpet session reminders. It has cue cards for rolling up sleeves, putting on the soap, rubbing hands together, washing hands and drying hands. We use it initially as an adult led thhing, the practitioner talking the child through the timetable as they wash hands and then i've found that the established children then do the same thing for the newer children, showing them the visual clues and teaching them to hand wash.
    :)

19. I have a good video a colleague found online somewhere. I've no idea where she found it, so can't post a link. It's too big to upload, but have saved it to Skydrive, so can email it to you if you want to take a look. It's a cartoon that uses a talking hand to explain to two cartoon children why they should wash their hands. It then demonstrates how they should wash their hands and finishes with a song. The kids all end up singing the song in Scottish accents to match the voices on the video, which is quite amusing to watch! It's much better than I've made it sound!

20. Big thank you to Sadika for this song, children have learnt it and we now sing it every day before dinner :)