1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Washing Day - Past and Present

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by clairebear1, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Just wondered if anyone had any more ideas for a week on Laundry/washing day in the past and present. I have all the old objects for washing. I thought we would wash something by hand and do some instruction writing on that. But then look at how they used to wash in the old days, with the dolly tubs and boards etc. Thought we would look at the artefacts, talk about them, do some observational drawings of them and have a go at using them. But what else could we do to make that week fun?
    Any ideas would be helpful! I have reception and year 1 children.
    Thanks!

2. design a washing machine for the future? look at the environmental aspects of washing machines against in the past?

3. design a washing machine for the future? look at environmental issues of washing machines/powders on sea life?

4. sadika

sadika New commenter

5. JO9832

JO9832 New commenter

Hi
    We had a week on washing in the Nursery. Not exactly the same focus as you but we set up a launderette in the role play area , i got lots of soap powder boxes from a local launderette. We read a book called Mrs Wishy Washy which is an old one but the children loved. I found a great song on the net and we sang this as we washed. We also did bubble printing which was fun.
    They might help even if just as enhancements to some of you areas.

jo

6. How about visiting the local launderette? I did this once and asked the chn to draw what they saw. My expectations were seriously challenged ... some of the chn drew STEAM. I was amazed, but that;s the difference between a young child's interest and ours.

You could also make soap flakes via a grater.

Pegs are excellent for fine motor skills.