1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Washing a kitchen wall

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Dec 17, 2015.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I thought i might ask you good folk for ideas
    Have a kitchen and the walls are painted with matt emulsion.As one can expect over time they has attracted grease and dirt.
    I tried the steam cleaner on part of the wall and the emulsion held but the cleaner didnt do a good job so I assume I have to wash the walls by hand.So you help wanted please.
    Do I just use a propriety brand or detergent or is there a better one? eg vinger and water or cillit bang..i tried the spray on ones and they just smeared and only cleaned a little area...or will the steam cleaner do the job if .i stick the little mop head thingy on the top of it,can't think of its name.

2. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Sugar soap is the best thing for this but don't forget to wear gloves and to rinse the surfaces afterwards.

InkyP and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I would use sugar soap, to get of the grease and grime and then a kitchen cleaner when you've got the worst off. I'm not convinced about steam cleaners and we were told not to use them on our floors.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Lara mfl 05 and RedQuilt like this.
  5. oldsomeman

true i should know that as used to use it to wash down woodwork before painting...in the Spring the whole kitchen needs to be repainted but i just wanted to freshen it up for Christmas...besides you can see the results of my attempts yesterday lol:(

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. marlin

marlin Star commenter

I would agree with sugar soap too. Do be careful though to read the instructions on the amount to use. There will be one amount for general cleaning and another for surface preparation before painting. You'll notice that the sugar soap penetrates the grease as you apply it but it is when you rinse that the grease and grime really comes away. I like to leave it a few minutes before I rinse so that it has time to work. Do a final rinse too, to remove all traces of the sugar soap.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I really can't imagine what you have been doing to let it get into such a state, olds!:eek:;)

8. oldsomeman

Being lazy and putting it off..it comes down the priority of things to do......so now i have to catch up.
    One day i will spend a whole day doing little.........till then i will dream and do what i cant.I'm getting lazy as I grow old as i would have house cleaned top to bottom in a few days, a few years ago.now i come in and flop by the computer.Stupid thing is you realise that once your going the jobs only take a short while to undertake.Then another hour to put all the stuff back lol

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

We repainted our kitchen and utility this summer. I did all the cleaning and preparation, washing walls, cupboard doors and shelves, and he did all the painting. He said it was all previously done in ordinary emulsion not kitchen and bathroom paint so we just used ordinary emulsion again. He was wrong! Every little splash of whatever will not sponge off and leaves a stain so I suppose it will all have to be done again in the new year. The actual painting bit is easy.

When washing down walls, I usually steam them and wipe with a t-towel, but it f very dirty or greasy, I steam and wipe with a cloth dipped in a cleaning solution such as Flash.

10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Washing walls? What's that about? I've not washed a wall in all my 64.5 years.

rouxx and Lascarina like this.
  11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Another vote for sugar soap here @oldsome! (If it's not too late that is? Been busy with stuff myself.)

12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Sugar soap. Not that I have ever or would ever do it. But I know that's the proper, old-fashioned way.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

My physiotherapist doesn't want me working above head height which would leave an unsightly tide-mark on the walls.

14. grumpydogwoman

Mm, my psychotherapist doesn't want me working with hazardous substances. You have been warned.

15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Are you teetotal now?

16. oldsomeman

lucky you....i get told. am dominated.:(

17. grumpydogwoman

No @oldsomeman Lucky YOU. Some people will pay a fortune for that kind of thing. Just ask @racroesus

Cheers!

18. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Don't be (unless you enjoy it).

19. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

If it's matt emulsion there's a good chance it'll come off when you wet it. If it's silk emulsion it might hold.

Cure the problem by using Sandtex exterior matt emulsion, indoors.

It's a masonry paint but it works really well indoors and you can wash it.

Not many colours available: white, magnolia, Cornish cream and there is a red.

20. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

OOOh I shall borrow that...and spend any waking/possible doing stuff around the house moments, laying down. Only snag being I might get asked to paint skirting boards which would still be below head height.

HHHHmmmnnn, back to the drawing board

marlin likes this.