1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Washer dryers

Discussion in 'Personal' started by cosmos, Aug 3, 2011.

1. I am thinking of replacing my washing machine and tumble dryer with a combined washer dryer. I have heard, and read, mixed reviews on their efficiency. I don't use the dryer very much so that isn't the most important consideration, but a machine that does a decent-sized wash is. Does anyone have one? Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

2. I am thinking of replacing my washing machine and tumble dryer with a combined washer dryer. I have heard, and read, mixed reviews on their efficiency. I don't use the dryer very much so that isn't the most important consideration, but a machine that does a decent-sized wash is. Does anyone have one? Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

3. I haven't had a combi washer-dryer for at least 10 years so they may well have improved in the meantime but I found mine did neither job particularly well. I wouldn't have one again. If you don't use the dryer very much have you thought about getting a smaller one? I had a tiny White Knight tumbler (electric) and it ran forever without a problem.

4. I had a hotpoint one that was okay. It wouldn't "dry" a whole load though - just one or two items if you you wanted than dry rather than warm and slightly damp. My new washer has a spin function that's almost as good and it takes a bigger load...I liked the washer/dryer at the time but I replaced it with a straight washer and don't miss it which should tell you something!

5. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

I had a very good AEG one, but it is true to say that the dryer wasn't very good (but good enough), and broke about two years before the washer. I don't have one now, and I don't miss it very much, tbh. It was handy on those weeks/weekends when it did nothing but rain and the kids vomited on everything in sght...!

6. impis

impis New commenter

Don't do it!!
    They're rubbish!
    1. It takes twice as long to do your laundry as you can no longer have one load being dried while the next load is being washed.
    2. The drier usually only turns in one direction which results in clothes that are badly tangled and VERY creased. You'll have to iron EVERYTHING!
    3. For me, a washing machine must have the facility to do a load quickly. I hate having to wait at least 2 hours for a load to be done. My current machine has two settings which are quck washes - one hotter than the other - and which take just half an hour. The results are just as good as when I use a longer wash too. It is a Hotpoint Aquarius.

7. We've had a couple (maybe 3) Zanussi washer-dryers ove the last 20 years or so. They wash and dry well, and unless you have very large amounts of laundry a w-d does the job and takes up half the space of separates.

8. Don't forget. when it breaks you have neither.

9. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I had one about 20 years ago and would never buy one again!
    Like others I disliked the fact that you couldn't dry a whole load at once and it wasn't very good at drying the half load either. I ended up buying a tumble dryer and just used the washer/dryer as a washing machine.
    I was interested to see this thread as D-i-L is just considering whether to buy one or not. My advice was no, but I wondered if they had improved since I had mine.

10. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

I live in a small house so it was a combo or no drier at all. The washing machine part is fine and though I rarely use the tumble drier it does an ok job too, for limited items as others have said.xx

11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I've had my Zanussi washer-dryer for about 9 years and it's great. It takes a big load. I only use the dryer rarely but when I do it does the job and if you get the stuff out quickly it doesn't need ironing.

12. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Senior commenter

I have a Miele. I'm very happy with it. I don't use the dryer that much but I do find it useful when I need it. The wash programmes tend to take quite a long time, though - but it's about six years old, so that may have improved.

13. I'm on my 2nd. We had a hotpoint for about 4 years and then it broke when I had a five week old baby and was washing and drying like it was going out of style! We only got one because our kitchen is tiny and I would have preferred to have separate machines. We have a bosch one now which is ok. As others have said the dryer bit can't cope with a larger load. Everything ends up a bit damp on the normal setting so I have to do everything on the higher setting.
    Our shortest wash is 50 minutes which isn't bad, but you can't put the temperature any higher than 40 for it.

14. I've never had the room to have a washer and dryer and I don't think I would bother if I had.

1) it does not take twice as long, obviously you can't wash while you are drying but if you have a dryer, wash one load and put it on to dry, then put on a second load if the second load is finished before the dryer you wave wet washing hanging around.
    2) I NEVER iron, in fact I was suprised when I found out I owned an iron.
    3) My washer dryer has a 15 min wash - I use that mostly.

Disadvantages - you cannot dry a full load, mine washes 8 Kg and dries 6Kg - how often do you wash 8kg? Just don't put in all your jeans together.
    It;s either this or something very similar

http://www.hotpoint.co.uk/appliances_hp/Washer_Dryer_AQM8F_49_U__V/pid_62092UK.do
    I love it, you put the dial to either quick wash or whatever you want to wash 'bed and bath', 'silk', 'cotton' etc - then you set the dryer to 'cupoard dry', 'hanger dry', or ...... can't remember the other dryer settings but you get the idea.

If you don't use a dryer often then it seems a bit of a waste to buy two seperate appliances

15. I'm beginning to have a rethink now as several of you seem to like yours.
    As I said, the dryer isn't so important as I dry everything either outside or on the radiators and use the dryer just to soften the washing (jeans and towels) and avoid ironing.
    Silly question......my existing dryer has to be vented to the outside to avoid the kitchen steaming up. Do you have to do this with a washer-dryer?

16. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

No. They use a condenser (whatever that is - I have an idea, but I could be wrong!!), which is why they are less efficient at drying, I believe.
    I found mine very useful, I have to say - I don't have one now because I rarely used the dryer (I did when my kids were babies - there were so many nappies to wash!!), and when it finally gave up the ghost (after 5 years of baby washing - I think that's pretty good) it was too expensive for me to replace like for like.

17. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Senior commenter

That's the main reason I got a Miele, cosmos - it was called a condenser washer/dryer - there's no steam (it goes straight into the waste pipe).

I had a Bosch before and that's the only reason I didn't get another one but it was a few years ago and I expect more of them have this feature now.

18. I bought an AEG washer dryer last year which has similar specs to the Samsung but came with 5 yr warranty - no problems so far but like others I don't really use the dryer much. It's a Lavamat Turbo 16850 and cost around £500 (12 months ago). I have an AEG washing machine which is 13 years old and has only recently had its first repair so hope the build quality is as good. There is no half load option but I have been told that the machine automatically adjusts water etc to match the load and this tallies with what I was told when I bought the old machine. Incidentally, I was also told to use old fashioned powder detergent (I use Persil) rather than liquid which tends to gum up the works. I certainly prefer the results. Oh, and I always use the 40 degree easy care programme which lasts about 80 minutes - adjusting the spin speed depending on what I am washing. I think I would agree that it is best to use a half load and programme it to go straight through wash and dry if you are going to use the dryer. (Stating the obvious but you only need half as much detergent). It has a 20 hour delay timer so you can time it so you have nice warm clothes when you get up.

19. Sounds good.
    We need to replace our machine soon (or get the dryer bit fixed, but it's about 7 years old), but the location is tight height-wise since we had the kitchen and utility floor re-tiled. So less than 85cm high would be a bonus.